10.25 weight question

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i sold my roll back bed im building a flat bed ramp truck bed question is the 10.25 good enough for 10k pounds or should i rebuild my tag axle or upgrade to 10 lug big rear? Im thinking of getting a f650 or f600 axle and convert my 60 front to 10 lug. then im gonna have a build thread

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the heaviest 10.25 axle rating is 7400#.

Not clear exactly what you're trying to do - but you probably want to start with a truck that's rated for the weight you plan to haul. Putting heavier axles under a light truck *does not* mean any of the rest of the truck can handle higher loads. Frame and suspension would be my biggest worries. Plus the legal GVW would still be the original weight, so you'd be legally overloaded.......

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flatbed originally weighed over a thousand pounds and it has a new door sticker GVW of 24 thousand towns so maybe I'll just keep the tag axle it has tripled up frame in the back

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe get a dana 80, therye rated for 9k lbs arent they?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you were closer to me. The local u pull it has a couple late 90's 450 and maybe even a 550 super duties. The newer body style truck with what I believe to be Dana 120s in them. The HUGE he 10 lug bolt patterns with 19.5 inch wheels.

The price is around 300 too. I keep trying to find a good reason to snatch one up, but I never haul anything that heavy...

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks i lived in oxford for a while you ever been to oxford recycling my friend owns it

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been to Oxford recycling, but been to Oxford many times. My folks lived in Melbourne Ar, for a while. Now they are in cherokee village.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those dana 120s?? the holy grail of axles... I have a feeling shipping would kill me though..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful. If you beef your truck up, the door sticker still will have the low GVWR. If you are in a accident and the blame game starts, you might get nailed for being overweight, even though you modified the truck.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if the door sticker encounters a freak accident?
Also, will they back-check the VIN for GVWR or could a have a vinyl shop make me a custom gvw sticker? Lmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GET a bigger truck for bigger loads...Or accept limitations and potential liability of situation as it is now.

Tag axle likely imparts a portion of weight rating on that rear I'd check carefully before removing components and expecting it to meet what your tag indicates as the revised CGVW

JM2CW

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my new door sticker with the tag axle is 24,900 but i figure a vehicle plus my welder generator is around 5k so i should be ok with my stock axle no tag axle. the new door sticker is from kilar fabrication in ohio.but i think eventually ill put stock axle on air and 4 link.thanks for all the help