10.25 pinion update changeover date?

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been thinking about this for awhile. my new truck is a EARLY 92, even still has the plain bed light without third brake light, like a bricknose. since it is a 4.10 truck i am a bit worried about the pinion bearing issues the older axles had.

anyone know the cut off when they started making the changes? im sure i have an old one but you can never know. the pinion is still light and i dont see any oil leaks.

i did do a search with no luck. thanks in advance, i hope this can help others too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wish I could remember. Somewhat recently had a discussion on this. Actually may have been early summer. Lol
I think 92 was the answer.
Also, I wouldn't necessarily say they had bearing issues. Unless you let the pinion nut come loose.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My mistook. 93.

93 is the change over year from short to long spline pinion yoke, if the yoke you pulled off has F3xx (1993) engraved on it and your the one you swapped on has Exxx (198x) your rear end is going to be hurting very bad if you have driven much at all.

If you put a short spline yoke on a long spline pinion the nut will bottom out before you ever get the bearing preload correct. With the wrong yoke on the pinion you will have about a half inch of in out play and the bearings will be toast, the carrier will be machined by the pinion gear and your gear pattern will be worn weird.

When you start driving the pinion gets pushed into the bearing away from the carrier, on decal or coast the pinion will get sucked into the carrier and is the noise you are hearing.

See if you can pull or push in the yoke on your axle, if it moves a lot start looking for another axle, if it moves a little you may still be lucky and be able to tighten the nut and crush the crush sleeve.

Also the crush sleeve can take up to 500 foot pounds to start crushing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks! i dont think its been apart with 145k miles. i could be wrong. so it was just the nut that would back off? my mistake i thought it was a bearing issue.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The shorter spline engagement wears out faster. Whether the nut falls off, pinion leaks, crush sleeve distorts, or the pinion bearings pack it in are the resulting problems.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, pre-93 is shorter than post-93... but don't worry about it until it's shot.
In order to upgrade, you need a new pinion gear as well as the yoke, which means a new ring gear too. and you might as well replace the pinion bearing in there while you have it apart... so... don't worry about it until that time, because any damage is to parts that you would have to replace anyway.

That being said, these short pinions were put in a /lot/ of trucks. I'm still seeing factory parts in all my trucks(with 300k+ miles), so... Obviously not that big of a problem unless you are running huge tires.

My '88 at one point had some yoke-play; I just installed a crush sleeve eliminator kit and just tightened it all down. No problems so far!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was actually a mid 92 change over, similar v belt to serp belt swap. I’ve seen obs trucks with v belts and short pinion yokes

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah my truck has v-belts still too so im sure i have the early setup. hopefully wont have issues soon. so much info on here. thanks again guys

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know 3/92 was the serpentine changeover break. I wonder if the pinion was close to the same time.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I know 3/92 was the serpentine changeover break. I wonder if the pinion was close to the same time.

Maybe they switched from kingpins to balljoints on the F350 at the same time ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online