1/4 mile times w PROOF

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree with the fact that comparing gas and diesel is apples and oranges (powerband as in delivery range being one aspect, specific torque output being another) you also cant get around the fact that a 1000hp diesel truck will easily be delivering in excess of 1300ft/lbs of torque....when you consider 1300ft/lbs before any gear multiplication, a stock light pickup frame aint going to cut it for long, and on a standing start you will deffinatly be seeing some serious flex.

From the little bit of experience I have had with the cummins crowd,, it seems that 99% of them are making 500+ hp, and getting 28+ mpg....right on par with the ricers....turned me off pretty quick to that crowd.

Back to the original topic....i would love to see what a well built IDI would do...although my end game is a DT380 swap, there is a side of me that is 6.9 loyal....I have abused the hell out of her and she just keeps on puring

As far as my DT380 swap, my target is for somewhere between 350~500HP...sure more is there, but I totally agree with Jwalterus

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
While I agree with the fact that comparing gas and diesel is apples and oranges (powerband as in delivery range being one aspect, specific torque output being another) you also cant get around the fact that a 1000hp diesel truck will easily be delivering in excess of 1300ft/lbs of torque....when you consider 1300ft/lbs before any gear multiplication, a stock light pickup frame aint going to cut it for long, and on a standing start you will deffinatly be seeing some serious flex.

From the little bit of experience I have had with the cummins crowd,, it seems that 99% of them are making 500+ hp, and getting 28+ mpg....right on par with the ricers....turned me off pretty quick to that crowd.

Back to the original topic....i would love to see what a well built IDI would do...although my end game is a DT360 swap, there is a side of me that is 6.9 loyal....I have abused the hell out of her and she just keeps on puring

As far as my DT360 swap, my target is for somewhere between 350~500HP...sure more is there, but I totally agree with Jwalterus

There. I fixed it for you

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you....was a little preoccupied with a two year old in my lap and being a but flustered over how we went from IDI's to 1000hp cummins

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just got back from doing a couple 0-60's with my GF with a stop watch. Each time resulted in the high 10's (like 10.9 LOL) to 11.3 seconds depending on how I was at shifting. Wonder what combo would get me into the single digits LOL!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also...one thing to remember about cummins is this (especially true for the 12 valves): Generally they have a large spike in there HP and torque curves. I have seen many times where a 425-450hp powerstroke will beat a 500-525hp cummins at the drag strip. Reason being is the powerstroke will have a broader power band. Those peaks are nice, but its nice to have a steady amount of power throughtout the rpm's.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Also...one thing to remember about cummins is this (especially true for the 12 valves): Generally they have a large spike in there HP and torque curves. I have seen many times where a 425-450hp powerstroke will beat a 500-525hp cummins at the drag strip. Reason being is the powerstroke will have a broader power band. Those peaks are nice, but its nice to have a steady amount of power throughtout the rpm's.
I have seen this to be the case with a 6.0 but not the 7.3.

Mad Dog's truck is a 1000+ HP truck. If you do some searching you can find videos of the truck launching with too much power, hopping all over the place.

Simply use less throttle to keep it in line. First time I lanched my 02 on a track with nitrous on and torque management turned off, the nasty case of all wheel hops that followed pulled the power wire from the amp under my passenger seat;p Only did that onceLOL

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
3 comments that mention something about being way off topic on this page alone.... and still people talking about the 1000hp cummins engines....

wait....
was there an original topic???
or did it run away??
*goes back to first page to look*
oh yeah....
my truck's 1/4 mile time will be however long it takes me to accelerate to 55 or so and hold it to the end of the track......

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I have no numbers and will not speculate but I will say that the difference in acceleration with my truck from N/A to now turboed and moose pumped is huge. I would not have a hard time accepting the idea of a 15 or 16 second IDI.(regular cab) Not mine either I know it's slowwer than that. I won't mention my other truck as it's "Not On Topic."

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Even with the Cummins talk it still keeps things in perspective.\

But please. Anyone w timeslips or video at the track of IDIs i would love to see

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
0-60 times aren't that bad to compare, are they? Seems like more of us can obtain this number. 10.9 is a respectable number and a good 1/4 mile guy can give rough times off of that number. Think about the difference from stock and take into account the vintage of our trucks. In the mid 90's my '74 f100 did 0-60 in 10.54sec and ran along side of Mustang gt's of that era. I remember being impressed reading a magazine article and the author saying that low 10sec times are barking on sportscar territory. 14sec 1/4's were doing something back then. For a diesel motor designed in the late 70's, we have done pretty good with the platform we chose to work with.

I am extremely happy with my trucks work ability and economy. I can tow 21,000lbs, haul 6500+lbs, and get to work at 15mpgs, and squeak 20mpgs highway. It also fits the four kids, my wife, and I when need be. Those are the important numbers regarding my truck. HP numbers and performance times are great conversation peices and a good basis for personal goals.

I have never been down the 1/4 mile. I am very excited to do so at the rally this year and hope it doesn't get rained out. I would love to see a dyno there and would have my truck on it in an instant. Anybody wanna call Maddog and see if he'll bring his truck and dyno?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online