088 Turbo

Idican

Reaction score
My friend recently installed 088 Ats Turbo in my 1990 7.3 with e40d. it has a brand new drop in compressor with ww2 upgrade. It seems to sound weird even though I don't know what it should sound like and it doesn't seem to boost unless I'm really stomping on it. Even then it will only get up to maybe 5 psi. Any ideas? Turn up fuel? I pulled a light trailer and never went above 900 exhaust temps.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn up the fuel. Boost is based on gasses flowing through the exhaust. More fuel = More exhaust gasses = More turbo speed to pull more air in through the compressor side (which in turn can burn more fuel to make more exhaust gas).

Are you getting any smoke when you max out right now? If not, you can definitely turn up the fuel screw by 2-3 flats and try again. Is your EGT probe before the turbine or after the turbine? 900 is max EGT if you are after the turbine.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATS 088 (which I have as well) has the EGT probe bung on the up side of the exhaust housing, but a lot of heat is lost in the crossover pipe from the driver side bank. I want to say that the ATS instructions state 1050° is the max safe temp. Get some exhaust wrap and wrap as much of the hot side up as you can. You’ll actually see that by just wrapping it the EGTs will be a little higher than before, which is ok because heat is energy and more energy going through the turbine rather than being lost as heat means better spool/boost which is exactly the outcome I got when I wrapped mine. My 088 is unmolested and it’ll spool to 9-10 psi before I can get out of first gear in my T19, and will continue to climb to 12 no problem. I also have 4” exhaust with a straight through muffler to swept side exit, which also helped the turbo performance out dramatically.