03 excursion no start no power to obd plug

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today crushing along and my 03excursion started losing power pulled over looked it over and shut it down. Big mistake she wouldn't restart it acts like it's running out of fuel checked fuel bowl no fuel replaced filters and lift pump and it would start run for 5 min then run out of fuel well went to pullcodes and no power to obd plug anyone know all the fuses for that I replaced #2 #4 both blown or have any ideas I'm running on no sleep and out of ideas limited tools and about to stroke out oh when it does first start it runs beautifully then starts running rough oh it's -17right now if you were concerned about fuel it's not gelled

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gelling could be the issue.

For the OBD2 port, I think it shares the same fuse as the cigarette lighter….

I’ll have to walk out and grab my manual to see what those fuses are for…… the ones that are blown….

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I grabbed my book….

Fuse 2 - Power point - floor console

Fues 4 - Power point - I/P (Instrument Panel?)

Fuse 12 shows it is for the Cigar Lighter / OBD2, so I would check that one…

What I am seeing, the Cigar Lighter is the one that is down low on the dash, under the cup thrower…. The Power Port is the one up on the passenger side with the little door. The one for the floor console is on the back of it for the 2nd row seats.

I would check those fuses, get some Diesel 911 in the red bottle and dose the tank. I would also get some white bottle Power Service and dose it heavy….. then keep it treated…

Where did you get your fuel last? It should be treated this late in winter… but at -17 F, you just my have a tank of goo…..

What did the fuel look like when your pulled the HFCM to replace it, since that is where the lift pump is, unless you have something other than the factory system.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked fuse #12 yet?

Have you specifically checked pin #16 on the DLC (data lick connector), ie OBDII connector, for 12V power?

I wonder if you have an injector that is leaking combustion gas beck into the fuel line. You can fill the secondary fuel filter bowl with diesel, and then crank with the starter solenoid wire jumpered to the passenger battery (+) terminal.

Last edited:

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the obd 2 going no codes everything checks out I'll pull the secondary filter and now I have it in the shop and warmed up and fuel treated

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so shops warmer it's still in the 40s inside the fuel looked ok I did get some gelling on the primary filter not much when I replaced the pump but I treated the fuel and added 20 gallons to mix properly I'll pull the filter to check for exhaust gasses but I feel like it might be a regulator issue it'll run good for 3 min then start acting up running rough my ficm has a constant min cranking 47 volts and at idle 48 to49

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back on been swamped well no bubbles and all of a sudden today tore into it and it ran just fine no issues except the fuse box under the dash smells hot and the relays feel warm I have not pulled it and inspected but it ran for 45 min no issues and on a bumpy road so I'm looking at the fuse box now unless anyone has a suggestion

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my excursion has been on ice and is acting up again nothing in the fuse box looks bad bit no power to the fuelpump when the key is turned on going to tear the floor panels up and chase wiring tomorrow after work has anyone had this issue before

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still lack Power to the Data Link Connector?

Will your starter crank with the key?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes starter cranks power to the obd plug no codes I did a quick jumpand it'll fire haven't run it on the road to see if it wants to cut out or anything

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it is the fuel pump relay that is non replaceable. It is soldered into a circuit board inside the central junction box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01