'02 7.3 No Start

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to diagnose why my dads truck wont start and unfortunatlly I'm not there at he moment. Its cranking over fine but theres no reading on the tach which I've read can be a bad CPS. That was replaced in '08 though at the dealer as part of the recall, can those things go bad again? From a search Ive found that if the fuel heater fuse blows it will not allow the PCM to start and to check it, but all the posts say it is the #22 fuse in the engine bay, but if I remember correctly the only fuse box on this truck is in the cab. Any idea what # it would be in this case? Any other ideas here? Its not the filter or gelle fuel, thats been eliminated as an issue.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with a new one? I know its possible to get a bad one, but is it really very likely?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm, unless I'm misreading your post you said it was replaced in 08, that was over 3 years ago. No tach usually means bad CPS.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that it was replaced earlier today as well, sorry about that. It was the first thing I thought of as well, but it hasn't helped it either. I think it may be the glow plug control module, as the Excursions did not ever have a relay as the rest of the 7.3's did come to find out.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tach trick doesn't work on the 99-03 sd.there is a fuse box under the hood.check them.#22 is on 94-97.I forget what fuse it is on the sd.

DANFORDMAN

Reaction score
did you get a black or gray CPS? the black CPS had been recalled on the 99 thru 04 7.3l F250/350

DANFORDMAN

Reaction score
Are u getting the "Wait to Start" lamp when you turn the ignition to the "on" poisition?

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. My dad took it into a guy in town and said he showed him a way to jump the relay, and said it was the problem, but today it apparently started just fine without having to do anything. So I don't really know whats going on. When I get up there in a few weeks I'm gonna run a full test on all the glow plug components and see if I can find a weak spot in the system.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yes it is. My dad took it into a guy in town and said he showed him a way to jump the relay, and said it was the problem, but today it apparently started just fine without having to do anything. So I don't really know whats going on. When I get up there in a few weeks I'm gonna run a full test on all the glow plug components and see if I can find a weak spot in the system.

Good chance the relay is shot.

The internals of the relay rotate to avoid pitting. That's why the relay works today. Tomorrow it might not work. The next day it will work again.:eek:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figure to be the case. Either way, he knows a way to start it if it goes out again so it can wait a few weeks until I get up there to fix it properly.