Wobbly fly wheel???

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am in the process of changing out my rear main seal. Anyway, i got the tranny pulled and decided to start it up to see if i could confirm it was the rear main seal. When i started it up and looked it seems the fly wheel has lots of wobble. Doesn't seem it could be good for anything. Do you guys thing this is too much or is this normal or something? Does Ford or International sell new ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hfzjg1fTMo

Thanks.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that is not normal. I have never seen one wobble near that much. Get another one from a Junk yard.

Dave

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cracked/bent auto flexplate.

your torque converter bolts to this,
if the flex plate is moving.
so is your torque converter.
eating the **** out of your pump and pump seal.
fix it asap, or dont drive it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
cracked/bent auto flexplate.

your torque converter bolts to this,
if the flex plate is moving.
so is your torque converter.
eating the **** out of your pump and pump seal.
fix it asap, or dont drive it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking... I don't recall ever seeing it do this before, I wonder if I somehow bent it while pulling the tranny. Never really had any tranny problems before either on this transmission, especially any leaks or anything. Either way, i just got one ordered, but I guess I won't be finishing this project today.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its not cracked it will eventually.

I doubt it would move tq con based on its flat...flywheel bolted to it would likely stratien up but that wouod stress flywehel.

Replace or e counter further issues in future

Yer choice

JM7.3CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Old flexplates will wobble like that once the converter is removed. The center is fatigued and ready to break.

Very good call speedster. That's a scary looking wobble there. The sounds stops during the vid and it appears to continue spinning like its broken off the crank flange. Sure needs to be replaced and fast too.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Very good call speedster. That's a scary looking wobble there. The sounds stops during the vid and it appears to continue spinning like its broken off the crank flange. Sure needs to be replaced and fast too.

Thats just the video going in slow mo so you can see the wobble well. I wonder how long its actually been this way, or how many others have this going on. Its not exactly standard procedure to start up the engine without the tranny attached.

On another note i totally cocked up the new main seal. I took the rear cover off, cleaned it all up, resealed it all, then tried to install new seal, it got going crooked and ruined it. Gotta order another now...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, i used a fast food plastic soda cup,
cut it to where it would fit over the crank
applied grease on the seal
and worked its way on.
pulled cup out and done!
took me 2 tries also

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
YIKES!!
I'm with Brian on that too. Prolly either cracked or fatigued.
I'd probably replace the pump seal while your at it since that's definitely wobbling that converter too Eric.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
FWIW, i used a fast food plastic soda cup,
cut it to where it would fit over the crank
applied grease on the seal
and worked its way on.
pulled cup out and done!
took me 2 tries also

Well I'm trying to use the one with the wear sleeve because the crank has a small groove in it. So not only am i getting the new seal in but I'm also pounding on a ring on the crank. It comes with a little plastic alignment cup and pins but it didn't seem to help that much...

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
YIKES!!
I'm with Brian on that too. Prolly either cracked or fatigued.
I'd probably replace the pump seal while your at it since that's definitely wobbling that converter too Eric.

Hm.. i guess i'll try to look that up. I've never really messed with anything on the tranny before.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i was doing mine, Russ told me to forget the wear ring, and wither place the seal in further or not as much so that the seal rests on another part of the crank.
i put the seal on so i just see the groove on the outside of the seal,

i havnt driven this engine yet, but i have about an hour and a half of run time on my test stand, ZERO leaks.