Wheel bearing question

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So..my 94 f350 4x4 has a 97 PSD Dana 60 swapped in. I’ve been hearing noise up front and ripped it all apart. The drivers hub spun for an hood long while and made a lot of noise once I got my caliper off. I’m rebuilding slide pin boots/calipers/ inner oil seals, inner stub axle bearings, axle u joints, rest of the seals. My question is the bearings them selves look pretty good, no marks, no marks on the races..so are they good to just repack and tighten up or are they shot.

As said once the dragging caliper was pulled I gave the hub a spin and it just went on for a long time making a growl noise..the hub was able to rock a little bit as well. But could this just be preload? Or bad bearings?

It’s all pulled apart now and all the seals and bearing are on their way (minus wheel bearings) so I want to get them ordered if needed

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's making a growling noise while spinning like this, then I wouldn't want to take the chance on having issues with this bearing in the future. I think that this would be the perfect time for new wheel bearings.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll get bearings order today. One more question I had is the hub supposed to be inside the rotor or on the outside of the rotor? I had to punch the lug nuts out of the rotor and the wheel hub was on the outside face of the rotor..here is a photo. I’m thinking someone messed with it to make it wider?

But if I changed it maybe the brake rotor wouldn’t line up with the caliper mount?

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 15

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks right to me. I’ve done them on these axles before. Just did one on Saturday, actually… Not difficult. Just make damn sure everything is clean, and you’ll be fine.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to wait until all the parts come in. All new bearings/seals/ujoints/rotors/pads and rebuilt calipers..I’ll probably keep this truck and keep the dodge while I work on it. If I ever need to take a trip to the woods while waiting out war time this truck would be best for the family

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to wait until all the parts come in. All new bearings/seals/ujoints/rotors/pads and rebuilt calipers..I’ll probably keep this truck and keep the dodge while I work on it. If I ever need to take a trip to the woods while waiting out war time this truck would be best for the family
Yes. The best way to do it is to replace it all and only have it apart once.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your bearings have preload or you will get growling. I had this problem and thought it was caliper vibrating, maybe the hub not disengaging and spinning the axle... turned out I needed a 1/4 turn in on the bearing and never had an issue again.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Make sure your bearings have preload or you will get growling. I had this problem and thought it was caliper vibrating, maybe the hub not disengaging and spinning the axle... turned out I needed a 1/4 turn in on the bearing and never had an issue again.
Careful - its a fine line. Don't have to be very tight to overheat. BTDT.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When tightening wheel bearings there should always be just a bit of play to allow for expansion as everything heats up.

I was always told that they will last much longer when way too lose than they will even slightly too tight.

James

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bearings seem to be in good shape. Especially when comparing to the new ones. Both timken and I notice no wear in them. I feel bad throwing them away!

My inner hub seals were letting water into the hubs and I do have slight rusty grease but no pitting or corrosion on the bearings.

I found an inner u joint on the driveshaft was seized in one direction. So that was also not helping noises when in 4x4. So it’s all getting swapped out. Also the ball joints were shot even though they seemed good when inspecting. One was just totally sloppy and rust dust.

Calipers look ok but slide pins need to be freed and greased. One caliper certainly needs a rebuild..the other is a Napa replacement from 4 years ago.

I’ll tighten the bearings up snug..give a few rotations back and forth and then back off a bit until it spins nicely

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got a couple of seal questions. I have a Dana 60 from a 1997 in the truck.

The axle didn’t have the outer tube dust seals on either side.

The seal that comes up look exactly like the one that’s also on the outer shaft by the hub. Is it the same seal?