Wobbly fly wheel???

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seal there referring to is the pump shaft to converter, it's just a single wrap Teflon seal.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, he took the trans apart to do a rear main seal, now im confused on which one he's doing and what he has to do LOL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I pulled the trans out to change the rear main seal on the engine. Pretty sure there is no other way to do the rear main seal on the engine... the seal DSL Dog was talking about was the TC pump seal on the tranny which he was saying to change out due to the wobbling flex plate.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
when i was doing mine, Russ told me to forget the wear ring, and wither place the seal in further or not as much so that the seal rests on another part of the crank.
i put the seal on so i just see the groove on the outside of the seal,

i havnt driven this engine yet, but i have about an hour and a half of run time on my test stand, ZERO leaks.

hmm... well i guess I could try that. Happen to have the part number for just the seal?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I pulled the trans out to change the rear main seal on the engine. Pretty sure there is no other way to do the rear main seal on the engine... the seal DSL Dog was talking about was the TC pump seal on the tranny which he was saying to change out due to the wobbling flex plate.

You can change the pump seal if you want. But with the converter attached to the flexplate, it will not wobble.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was doing mine, Russ told me to forget the wear ring, and wither place the seal in further or not as much so that the seal rests on another part of the crank.
i put the seal on so i just see the groove on the outside of the seal,

i havnt driven this engine yet, but i have about an hour and a half of run time on my test stand, ZERO leaks.

Brian, was this OEM Ford rear main seal that comes with the wear sleeve? I have one on hand but I figured that installing the wear sleeve was required whether or not the crank flange was worn. Otherwise the seal diameter would be too large?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the Ford seal/wear ring combo are installed with the plate on the engine. A stock seal is to be installed in the plate from the engine side with the plate off. You will need some sort of seal protector like a soda cup to install the seal and plate as a unit. If you go that route you will have to remove the plate and clean all the RTV you just applied. I drilled the install tool that came with the seal and sleeve and pressed it on using allthread. It worked but still tried to **** on me. I didn't have a lot of hope for it but the seal didn't leak. One of the corners on the plate to oil pan did leak, so I have been down this road a few times.
Rt click on pic and select view image for a smaller size.
Just saw your last post. The seal in the Ford kit will be too big without the supplied sleeve. I think a Speedy Sleeve is thin enough to use with a stock size seal. The Ford sleeve is pretty thick. Since I hate leaks i pulled my plate and installed a SKF seal that fits the OEM wear sleeve, since I had the sleeve on and didn't want to try and remove it.

Attachments

• DSC00127.jpg
    DSC00127.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one i used was without, i think Hydro-idi got the one with the sleeve and the fixture tom posted.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As trackspeeder said.
You can change the pump seal if you want. But with the converter attached to the flexplate, it will not wobble.

The seal I was referring to is #37, if it's the original seal, I would replace it with the new Teflon seal.

Attachments

• E4OD parts_0001.jpg
    E4OD parts_0001.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E4OD parts.jpg
    E4OD parts.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 9

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well I got the ******* in finally. Ended up getting threaded rods to help push it in straight. Worked well.

You must be registered for see images attach

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I bought a new flexplate. Its bolted in right now but going to wait till tomorrow to start up to let the permatex around new rear main seal cure. Then i will see if the new flexplate is straight. Hopefully it didnt get bent in shipping as it was in a flimsy box.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have seen a few of these crack and have seen a few guys leave the flange off and bolt it right up with bolt heads against the new flexplate and have a comeback ..........................

in the trade too many years and hate seeing comebacks, even on personal stuff;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online