Wobbly fly wheel???

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure as hell want to put the load bearing washer on the flex plate or in a short time the flex plate will crack.

Crank hub--Flexplate--Washer--Bolts in that order. If you have the 1" spacer, that goes next to the crank hub.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You sure as hell want to put the load bearing washer on the flex plate or in a short time the flex plate will crack.

Crank hub--Flexplate--Washer--Bolts in that order. If you have the 1" spacer, that goes next to the crank hub.

Thats how I've got it now. The washer thing and the flex plate are labeled on them as to which way they face.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
When torquing down the flexplate bolts it is safe to brace the crankshaft from the front bolt to keep it from spinning, correct?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think I would make up a lever and use a bellhousing bolt to wedge it into the starter gear teeth. Or a large pair of vice grips on the wheel to act as a handle.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I think I would make up a lever and use a bellhousing bolt to wedge it into the starter gear teeth. Or a large pair of vice grips on the wheel to act as a handle.

Well, you've done this before, is that what you did? Im heasitant to wedge againt the new flexplate, dont want to bend it again already...

And i dont have vise grips that big...

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well.. i ended up just bracing off the front bolt... figured 47 ft-lbs hopefully wouldn't hurt anything. Just read some stories about people bracing the rear of the engine through the transmission and to the wheels to loosen the front bolt. That's alot more stress on things it would seem. Anyway, got the new flex plate on, loctited the bolts, torqued them down, started it up and it's perfect. No leaking rear main seal and flexplate runs straight now. Woho! One less leak to deal with. Now to reassemble and fix several more leaks up front and finish installing the redhead steering gear.

Here is new plate running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdvXejOQh0

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I got the ******* in finally. Ended up getting threaded rods to help push it in straight. Worked well.

You must be registered for see images attach

This allthread install idea is a good one. When I installed the new teflon double lip seal with the speedi sleeve I ruined it. I followed the printed directions but had way too much spring action in the rear plate. My mistake was not having the oil pan installed... So I removed the rear seal plate. Removed the sleeve from the seal.. BTW directions tell you not to remove the sleeve or it ruins the seal...:rolleyes::Whatever: So I installed the sleeve on the crank with some avation cement. then installed the seal in the plate. Then guided the seal over the sleeve and bolted up the seal plate. So far counting 9 years and no seal leaks. Directions also said to install the seal dry. Do not lube the seal to shaft in any way... I used some asembly lube very lightly and its still fine as frogs hair...:sly:D:angel:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
This allthread install idea is a good one. When I installed the new teflon double lip seal with the speedi sleeve I ruined it. I followed the printed directions but had way too much spring action in the rear plate. My mistake was not having the oil pan installed... So I removed the rear seal plate. Removed the sleeve from the seal.. BTW directions tell you not to remove the sleeve or it ruins the seal...:rolleyes::Whatever: So I installed the sleeve on the crank with some avation cement. then installed the seal in the plate. Then guided the seal over the sleeve and bolted up the seal plate. So far counting 9 years and no seal leaks. Directions also said to install the seal dry. Do not lube the seal to shaft in any way... I used some asembly lube very lightly and its still fine as frogs hair...:sly:D:angel:

The double lip seal seems to face opposite directions. I could see how pulling the sleeve out would make it really hard to get both lips sealed and face the proper directions. I'd almost bet when you did yours you ruined the inner lip seal. The outter one will hold up fine and still not leak though. The original seal was single lip anyway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One may think I ruined the inner lip but I was aware of this issue. So I worked it on with some gentle "touching"...:eek::angel::angel: