Water Pump Time

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I dont care if the AP store I got this from sues me I wanted to share this with anyone whos thinking of renting one of these crappy "kits".

You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the wear pattern on the contact area of the ear and how out of align they are...

I think I see the problem...

All that being said tom Im going to try a 15" pair of channel locks and a pipe wrench. Beyond that Im completely out of ideas.

BTW, since the nut is now FUBARD, can I get just the nut or is it by chance connected somehow to the clutch, meaning Id have to get a whole new clutch??

Whole new clutch now. Got an air chisel? Hit the corner of the nut with the air chisel and a flat bit. Should get it off.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Did you read my post?

I was told I by others on here that they used a chisel. It is not recommended, per se, but it does the job. I really think hitting it with a propane or mapp gas torch for a minute or so helps loosen it up too. So long as you're not reusing the wp, I don't see the harm in using a chisel. This is a cold chisel or air chisel too. Don't go in there with your 1" wood chisel.

You can alway buy some 3/16" stock and cut a wrench face in to it. Should be <$10.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I gave up on those "fan clutch tool kits" when I was driving a 300 I6... I use a Williams wrench.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys but no air here so that rules out any air tools.

So is that affirmative on the needing a new clutch since the nuts FUBARD???

Any other hand tool suggestions besides the channel locks & pipe wrench??

Also, this is my DD and its already been down for 4 days so Im trying to avoid having to order another tool off line and have to wait for it. I really need this done yesterday.

TIA, Jon

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
If you have a grinder, a jig saw, or a sawz all, you can easily make your own wrench. Oh yeah, a tape measure or ruler is also necessary. You do not need a new clutch, but it will be a pita to get off again with the rounded nut. That is your call. Do you want to fight it next time with a fubared nut or do you want to take it off easy while spending 50 bucks (I think).

Check out the link I posted above your last post. Super easy.

And a cold chisel is a hand tool, not an air tool. Available at any hardware store.

Last edited:

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the nut IS attached to the clutch...great. One more thing to replace.

I used to have basic power tools along with probably 5-6k in tools and box when I worked automotive but thats all gone now.

Im working with pretty basic hand tools at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the lisle stuff is good. I have the same kit in my toolbox at work. It gets used everyday. No problems ever. Put it on, one pop with the air hammer and its off. That is if i;m going in the right direction. Might wanna check and make sure you are going the right direction. If you have your new waterpump, follow the threads and make sure its right hand.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I dont care if the AP store I got this from sues me I wanted to share this with anyone whos thinking of renting one of these crappy "kits".

Notice the wear pattern on the contact area of the ear and how out of align they are...

I think I see the problem...

All that being said tom Im going to try a 15" pair of channel locks and a pipe wrench. Beyond that Im completely out of ideas.

BTW, since the nut is now FUBARD, can I get just the nut or is it by chance connected somehow to the clutch, meaning Id have to get a whole new clutch??

Gee looks like youve been to Advance. THey all carry the same poor quality kits and the factory tool isn't much better. THis is why I always say not to even try to use those things, they do more damage than good. About the only time they will get one off is if it was about ready to fall off by itself.
What you need is this wrench from Snap on and this holder FCT706
If you have enough of the nut left to grab,
2 of the holes need to be opened up on the holder to make it fit the IDI pulley bolts but with that setup you can get the leverage needed to remove any fan clutch.

If there is no flats at all left on the nut then you may have to get a new fan clutch and water pump because you are going to ruin the pump trying to get it off with an air hammer and there's no way that you want to re install a screwed fan clutch

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gee looks like youve been to Advance. THey all carry the same poor quality kits and the factory tool isn't much better. THis is why I always say not to even try to use those things, they do more damage than good. About the only time they will get one off is if it was about ready to fall off by itself.
What you need is this wrench from Snap on and this holder FCT706
If you have enough of the nut left to grab,
2 of the holes need to be opened up on the holder to make it fit the IDI pulley bolts but with that setup you can get the leverage needed to remove any fan clutch.

If there is no flats at all left on the nut then you may have to get a new fan clutch and water pump because you are going to ruin the pump trying to get it off with an air hammer and there's no way that you want to re install a screwed fan clutch

I appreciate the SO part #'s but like I said Im not trying wait any longer to get this thing swapped out.

The flats are left on the nut, just the corners are rounded. Regardless at this pont Im probably just going to go ahead and get a new clutch so theres no battling getting back on or ever having to take it off in the future. I just hope I can get the *****'D one off with available hand tools...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online