Water Pump Time

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
mine wept for at least a year before i got a new one. i would not take a chance at loosing your brand new radiator.

i got my h2o pump from a-zone for $25. have not had a problem with it yet.

here is my water pump....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=588272&postcount=27

this is what itsacrazyasian said about my pump.....

Back in the day, everyone carried ASC for aftermarket pumps. they had two lines, a blue box "consumer" or retail line that sold to do it yourselfers which contained a nice thick gasket, all the o rings, etc. They sold a yellow box which was a installer line that was made in CHina that was crap but they dropped that line in about a year. I haven't seen a ASC pump from CHina that actually had ASC stamped on it like yours did.
Advance Auto parts used to carry ASC, but switched to GMB. I've had 3 failures of their water pumps in the past year. Funny thing is the GMB pump i buy from another supplier is made in Japan vs China like Advance and the quality is perfect with no warrenty issues like Advance's.

Gates use to rebox ASC pumps in their boxes like they do with Stant thermostats and caps but now its Bortek in the box.

The two Bortek pumps i've ever used were on Toyota Corolla 1.8's and both broke the pulley off the hub. Total crap!

The problem of why i see the switch is price.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subcategory_Cooling-and-Heating_-49997369_-49997327_10151_10051_-1___#storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&categoryLevel=&sortBy=5&categoryId=-49997369&searchTerm=&pageId=ajaxPartList&category=&keywords=Cooling-and-Heating&l1_categoryId=&l2_categoryId=-49997327*-49997369&partType=&facetFields=mfrName_exact%2CpriceBucket%2Cclearance%2Csale%2Cl2_category&beginIndex=0&filterValue=part_type%3A%22Replacement+Parts*Cooling+and+Heating*Water+Pump%22|Replacement+Parts*Cooling+and+Heating*Water+Pump&pageSize=10&filters=part_type%3AReplacement+Parts*Cooling+and+Heating*Water+Pump&selectedPartNumber=&qty=1&ship2HomeClicked=

A new pump is cheaper than the reman! I can get a delco pump from another supplier but its 85 dollars. Gates is the same price as the GMB from Advance new. The problem is, its all crap. I would use the delco on my own truck, i would use the reman before i do the gates or GMB new.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer ordered a PW-454 for me. All googling indicates that is for a PSD. They assured me it was for our IDI's...we'll see.

Any part # for the factory pump?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine from the dealer, looked rebuilt, no issues yet though.

And my guys at the dealer are always selling me PSD stuff. Now I usually tell them I have a 88 7.3 and they don't get it wrong. For some reason, when I say 92, they think its the same engine up through 97. I guess 88 makes them think a little more, but I really dunno.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online