Shop near Yuma AZ? bad water pump

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well crap. The van needs a water pump ASAP. Just discovered this. Can anyone recommend a good shop somewhere around Yuma or not too far to replace an IDI water pump?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well crap. The van needs a water pump ASAP. Just discovered this. Can anyone recommend a good shop somewhere around Yuma or not too far to replace an IDI water pump?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I can’t recommend a shop as I am not from there but those pumps are super easy to replace… just sayin :dunno

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I can’t recommend a shop as I am not from there but those pumps are super easy to replace… just sayin :dunno
The worst part is removing the fan clutch and putting it back tight enough that it doesn't come off. But yes it doesn't look too bad, aside from that. Even on a van chassis.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part is removing the fan clutch and putting it back tight enough that it doesn't come off. But yes it doesn't look too bad, aside from that. Even on a van chassis.
Oh yeah, you have a van… :frustrate
I keep forgetting that you and Cant Write are next level contortionists, er, mechanics…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, Cubey doesn't have any tools to tighten or loosen the fan nut. He stopped by my place in 2019 so that I could loosen and tighten that nut on hid RV when he replaced the fan clutch on it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you have a van… :frustrate
I keep forgetting that you and Cant Write are next level contortionists, er, mechanics…

@IDIBRONCO Did the fan clutch on the RV in 2019 and it wasn't too bad, but he had a big air compressor and air chisel and knew what he was doing.

Looking up the costs of a big enough air compressor, and an air chisel, and a special $50 tool set to do it without risk of damage to the fan clutch nut... I could probably have a shop do it.

Plus I'd need a big enough generator running to use a bigger air compressor. I do have a 2800w onan genset in the cargo trailer but it needs a carburetor (it drips pretty badly) and possibly a fuel pump.

Maybe I could find someone here who could volunteer the use of a big portable generator and big air compressor.

Usually I prefer to buy tools vs pay labor, but I might just have to use a shop this time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Looking up the costs of a big enough air compressor, and an air chisel, and a special $50 tool set to do it without risk of damage to the fan clutch nut...
You could probably buy the wrench set and keep that with you a lot easier. I don't know about all of them, but I've seen some, at least, that had a 1/2" square hole in them so that you can use a ratchet or breaker bar for extra leverage.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes, Cubey doesn't have any tools to tighten or loosen the fan nut. He stopped by my place in 2019 so that I could loosen and tighten that nut on hid RV when he replaced the fan clutch on it.

I have seen this but I don't know if I could do it by myself, even with the fan clutch holder loaner tool from AutoZone. Kind of need another pair of hands.

You must be registered for see images attach

The loaner tool:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For what little it may be worth, when I was working on these for a living, the shop I worked for thought that I should be using the wrenches so it bought me a set. I couldn't get the stupid things to work right so I quit trying after 2 or 3 times. The bigger wrench, the one that holds the water pump from turning, was flat. You were supposed to slip it over all four pulley bolts on the water pump. I could get a good grip on two, but the other two always seemed to slip out of the wrench. I think that it that wrench had been built with an offset, to get a better grip on all four bolts, it would have worked great.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
For what little it may be worth, when I was working on these for a living, the shop I worked for thought that I should be using the wrenches so it bought me a set. I couldn't get the stupid things to work right so I quit trying after 2 or 3 times. The bigger wrench, the one that holds the water pump from turning, was flat. You were supposed to slip it over all four pulley bolts on the water pump. I could get a good grip on two, but the other two always seemed to slip out of the wrench. I think that it that wrench had been built with an offset, to get a better grip on all four bolts, it would have worked great.

These exist, but I'd have to spend another $300 (or more) on an air compressor and air chisel, and rig up the onan genset to run the air compressor.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh there's this tip for holding the pulley, so maybe i could do it with the wrench+breaker bar.

I just really dislike working on cooling system stuff for some reason.

I'd probably also replace the fan clutch clutch and thermostat while it's being done.

Looks like you can only get Motorcraft water pumps from random sellers on eBay now with old stock. Might be questionable if the part is legit and not just stuck in a Motorcraft box.

O'Reilly has a Murray water pump with all good reviews for the same price.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These exist, but I'd have to spend another $300 (or more) on an air compressor and air chisel, and rig up the onan genset to run the air compressor.
That doesn't seem to be worth the cost for something that will rarely have to be done.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be worth the cost for something that will rarely have to be done.

And storing it is an issue.

I think I'll grab that wrench with the 1/2" hole for a breaker bar. A " like new" one is under $19. Someone probably bought the wrong size and returned it unused. Amazon has the Motorcraft thermostat for a few bucks less than RockAuto so I'll grab that right now too.

I have a couple of months to address this at least. I'm parked and not moving any. The bug is my daily driver. So I'll see about doing the job in January or February. That gives me time to decide on the pump and fan clutch to buy and try installing them.

I'll try getting the fan clutch loose first because if I can't do that, there's no point draining the system. In that case, I'll look for a shop in Yuma. I'll only be out the $19 for the tool, unless I try it before the free return period. (Jan 31)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7