Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The odds are good that the Banks pyrometer is bad, but I have a way to check it once i get back in a couple days. I went ahead and ordered the same Auto Meter pyrometer that I was going to get from O'Reilly, for $177 on Amazon ($53 less), along with a $45 jetboil knockoff, and a $16 dog head shift knob for the bug that I have been wanting. 12 months no interest on the order. If I don't need it, I can send it back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Huh interesting, it has a load sensing brake adjustor on the rear, plus a sway bar added.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So that what those things are? I never knew that before. I had something with that on it and took it off.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh interesting, it has a load sensing brake adjustor on the rear, plus a sway bar added.

I have a brake adjuster on my 86, no sway bars though. Wish it had them…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have a brake adjuster on my 86, no sway bars though. Wish it had them…

It's only as good as it's bushings. And since I don't know what kit it is, it'll be hard to get proper replacements.

The RV and van both have factory front sway bars. New bushings on the RV made a massive difference so that's something I'll do first on the van.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only as good as it's bushings. And since I don't know what kit it is, it'll be hard to get proper replacements.

The RV and van both have factory front sway bars. New bushings on the RV made a massive difference so that's something I'll do first on the van.
I’ve not seen a 4WD with front sway bar that wasn’t a solid axle like the Dana 60s are… might not be a thing for my truck… another reason why I want a solid front axle

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So that what those things are? I never knew that before. I had something with that on it and took it off.

Something like this. You can see the hard line and hydraulic hose at the round thing on mine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Less than 100 miles left to go. Hauled butt over 400 miles today before I ran out of daylight.

Getting 16-17mpg at 65-70 across Texas.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always been advised to stay away from the big pumps simply due to the amount of volume and foam they discharge.

It seems no one here warns against that, so are the big nozzles just fine to use, or do you guys avoid them IF possible...?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have always been advised to stay away from the big pumps simply due to the amount of volume and foam they discharge.

It seems no one here warns against that, so are the big nozzles just fine to use, or do you guys avoid them IF possible...?

I've had small nozzles be extremely foamy too. A huge pain for the front tank on the RV because it has something like 6-8ft to travel to the tank. especially if the nose is downhill some, makes it even worse.

In general, large seem fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cubey The one I have is floating around here somewhere, couldn't find it in a cursory search, it looks like this one.

If you search for a super duty filler neck on Amazon Warehouse, a few options come up, like linked below. Two of them available at $18 ea

How do you make that fit if your tank doesn't have the fitting/port for that separate vent? Remember the older trucks have the pipe inside a pipe for the venting system. Fuel in the center pipe, air comes out the large hose/pipe.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a larger rollover valve for my tanks or ditched it all together and ran tubing from the tank to the fuel filler. On the fuel filler neck I drilled and added barbs. I used grommets and press fit them in there, I'd redo them given the chance since I can weld now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel