Started my DT360 swap yesterday

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She mentioned that my truck wasnt showing any hours recorded on the computer records yet, so that means there isnt a bunch of labor hours put into it(yet).

Was told that the foreman was pretty confident it would be done by the 4th. I am thinking that means one of two things 1-They have identified the problem, or 2- A miscommunication, and the ordered elbow was expected by the 4th.

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
Nice to see someone else doing this swap, but why didn't you keep the motor more forward and not cut up your firewall? I was able to position mine just fine in the factory engine bay by removing the original engine cradle. I'm switching my front pulleys to agricultural pulleys and may have enough room left over to run a mechanical fan still. As for a Trans I'm running an Allison 1000 from a duramax with an Allison 2000 bellhousing. Here's a link to my thread...

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-general-powerstroke-discussion/233409-truck-update.html

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Oh and swamp, let me know how that front 60 holds up, I hear mixed reviews of a DT beating on a 60. I think it'll be ok, only planning 500 or so to the wheels. Im still undecided on a rear axle. I have a 14B laying around. Only thing is what I have is 4.10s and I think I want to go in the 3.55 range for good highway speeds.

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
Dana 60 should do just fine. Dt360 only weighs a couple hundred pounds more than a 5.9 cummins. As for a rear end, I'm using an aam 1150 with 3.73s out of a dmax and will be running 37s. I'm gunning for 800+ at the wheels first attempt. She's gonna get abused!

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
Also I hope you realize a dt466 is around 7 inches longer than a 360 and about 9-10 longer than a cummins

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I know the 60 still hold it up no issues, I heard the torque tears them up. I'm going for stock appearance, if I go bigger tires its not going to be bigger than 33s. I got the scout with the 39.5s to play with.

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about the power. Lot of big time diesel pullers still use the 60 and they're I'm excess of 1500hp! I know a lot of em run 35 spline shafts though. It'll be plenty fine for what your doing as a stock axle

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Inners are 35. Outers are 30. Almost all aftermarket outers are 35 which means u need new hubs or slugs as well. But much stronger

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Update.

Lets see if I can remember everything. Bought new copper washers to seal injectors/combustion chambers. Some of them still leaked, so I coated them with Copperseal, or whatever that stuff is called. Only had one just barely seeping after that. Haled it to the exhaust shop and got that done, and then got down to the business of building doghouse/firewall, and putting dash and interior back together. Test drive after that was not good. Hydroboost was making brakes drag noticably, even though one front caliper was an even bigger problem. Ended up putting new calipers on both sides up front, and buying a rebuilt booster. A lot better, but the booster is still dragging the brakes just a bit.sitting just a bit pidgeon toed, so I need to put a washer or two under the front coils..

You provably addressed this already but when mine did this the problem was the discharge hose into the reservoir was slowing down the flow, used a bigger hose and routed the hose separate from the ps discharge hose and the brakes have worked wonderful since.

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You provably addressed this already but when mine did this the problem was the discharge hose into the reservoir was slowing down the flow, used a bigger hose and routed the hose separate from the ps discharge hose and the brakes have worked wonderful since.

yes, that is exactly what the problem was. too much resistance in the SINGLE return line. I had the return for the hydroboost T'd into the return for the steering box right down by the steering box. then it flows through a filter mounted on the bottom side of my ranch hand bumper and through a tube and fin cooler mounted on the bumper before feeding back to the resovoir on the passenger inner fender. the resistance was apparently too much, and backfeeding into the hydroboost return line. I made a new resovoir out of some 4 inch exhaust pipe, with separate returns for each. problem solved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online