Started my DT360 swap yesterday

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Chatted with the truck pulling guy at work about the excessive black smoke in the lower RPM's. He said that I needed to adjust the fuel rate in the rearmost part of the pump. Basically it is overfueling it before the turbo is doing its thing. We talked about how to do that and I planned on trying it over the weekend before I had to use the truck again to haul two early Broncos. Spent a good 3-4 hours trying to get one of the cover screws out for one of the adjustments, and it was pretty much backed out all the way, only needed another 1/8 inch to make the adjustment screw flush with end plate. Other adjustment was the star wheel, it was so far to the front of the edjustment window, that I had a hard time seeing it. I backed it (tightened spring) so it was about a third of the way across window, not knowing how touchy the adjustment would be. Also pulled the fuel screw out all the way, just fer ***** and giggles. Next day I ran some errands with an empty 28 ft gooseneck attached before going to my parents and picking up the two early Broncos. Just pulling the empty trailer, I was still getting very excessive black smoke accelerating from lower RPM's, particularly accelerating through 4th gear. Throttle response was not improved either ( was told that it would improve once the pump wasnt over fueling it before turbo kicked in) By the time I got the two Broncos loaded and left the rents place, it was dark, so I couldnt see how it was doing pulling a load other than watching the trailer marker lights disappearing in the rearview mirror briefly after shifts. Pulled the load just fine, unless I spaced off going into a hill and let it lose momentum.

Forgot to mention that the tach is working off my notched water pump pully. I have 4.10 gearing, 235-85-16 tires and the .85 overdrive ratio makes about 2600 RPM's doing 65MPH. Tach did start acting screwy from time to time, so maybe I had the sensor too close to notches. Did find later that there were some marks on the sensor where the pulley had brushed against it, so I repositioned it, and it seems to be OK last I drove it.

Anyhow, talked to guy at work again and he told me to run the star wheel down as tight as it would go. I did that yesterday afternoon, then drove truck into town to doc appointment. Still a lot of smoke, but definitely better by at least 50-75%. After getting home, I pulled the dash back out to start hack fabbin up some kind of heat/defrost. Winter will be here before long. Be a great opportunity to put more stick on sound deadener on firewall without dash in way too.

Talked to guy again at break earlier. He thinks a stiffer spring will be required.

Maybe I will try to get some pics of the tach sensor/notched pulley setup and the firewall doghouse if I think of it.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Maybe you would know, would a p pump from a 1993+ 466 bolt onto my 1988 466? Also what does the p pump look like? Theres half a '94 international with a 466 in it at the local u pull it and the I/p is still on it.

dta360

Reaction score
Adapter plate?

Im new here and i would like to know how to mate up a international dt360 to a 1988 zf series 5 speed transmission any input would be appreciated

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you would know, would a p pump from a 1993+ 466 bolt onto my 1988 466? Also what does the p pump look like? Theres half a '94 international with a 466 in it at the local u pull it and the I/p is still on it.

It's not a bolt on without and adaptor plate. Lots of places sell them. About $500 though. A P-pump look like this. It's got the adaptor plate and gear on it already.
You must be registered for see images

Heath

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
Update

Forgot to mention that the tach is working off my notched water pump pully. I have 4.10 gearing, 235-85-16 tires and the .85 overdrive ratio makes about 2600 RPM's doing 65MPH. Tach did start acting screwy from time to time, so maybe I had the sensor too close to notches. Did find later that there were some marks on the sensor where the pulley had brushed against it, so I repositioned it, and it seems to be OK last I drove it.

Maybe I will try to get some pics of the tach sensor/notched pulley setup and the firewall doghouse if I think of it.

Yes, please let me know how you have all this bit working. I've been looking at trying to figure out how to run the tach on mine.

On another note, all my parts are done to get mine running. Just need to install em and make both my manifolds and rebuild my mani charger. Should easily see 800+ at the wheels. Getting excited!

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
What's the progress bud? You'll have to check out my thread. All my parts are in, but my pushrods are too long so they have to be shortened. Bunch a new pics up

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Guys a couple questions. So what kind of vehicles are you finding a DT 360 in and how is it better than our IDI's. More power, better fuel economy, can the average boob work on it like our IDI's.

thanks
jim

swamp_ratt

Oh yeah....
Reaction score
Idi's are turds compared to dt360! Put it this way, a dt360 is a 5.9 cummins x100! You'll only find em in international 4700 and up trucks and school buses! You wanna talk simple to work on?! By FAR easier than an idi

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys a couple questions. So what kind of vehicles are you finding a DT 360 in and how is it better than our IDI's. More power, better fuel economy, can the average boob work on it like our IDI's.

thanks
jim

Jim, they are found in school buses, medium duty trucks, and equipment (ag and others). International DT series engine are really heavy duty. Wet sleeve design alone is a huge plus over most engines (diesel of gas). You can overhaul the eninge without pulling it from the rig. Burn down only one cylinder....... simple, just replace the sleeve and piston for that cylinder and keep running it. The head bolts at 5/8 diameter........ Yes.... 5/8! They produce 2.2 to 2.5 ft/lbs of torque per HP. Very common to get 400,000 miles before needing work. Huge bearings on the crank and rods. Can easily be modified for big, big power and make that power reliably as they are so over built.

I'm in the early stages of a DT466 swap (just collecting parts at the moment). 1000HP isn't a hard goal to meet with that big DT. Fitting it between the cab and the radiator is going to be the hardest part of the swap.LOL

Heath.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stock IDI rod is pretty beefy yes?....... Compair it to a DT466 rod!:eek::hail:love:

See the difference?

I'm using a S480 for the small bottom charger and was looking for a Garrett T18A-95 for the larger top charger. Well, Brad (tractor puller I know) had one that was built by Max Simpson out of Michagan and wanted to sell it as he was upgrading his middle charger on his triples. So, I bought it from him. It's got a 114 turbine housing in hopes of lighting that big sucker without having to scream the engine to 3000+ RPM. It may need a 132 housing if I play more on the track than I think I will.

Here are some photos below of the Banks IDI trubo with the small charger (S480).

Now some shots of the twins side by side:

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members