7.3 IDI wont start

MorganRyle

Reaction score
Whats up yall, I just inherited a 1988 f450 7.3 idi from my father-in-law. I am not new to the idi engines, I also own a 1985 f350 6.9 idi. The issue with the f450 is getting it to crank. It has not sat for all that long, maybe within the last 6 months, so I’m pretty sure its not gummed up. I put 2 brand new batteries in, and a brand new fuel filter. It turns over freely and acts like it wants to fire up but then just turns over slower and slower. I cracked the # 2 injector to make sure that the system had fuel going to it and it was good, no air bubbles. The fuel filter stayed full. I just don’t think the starter is spinning fast enough. My gut tells me to just put a new started on her, had the same issue with my 6.9 and it seemed like a new starter solved the problem. The cluch is stuck right now otherwise I would just roll it off. I was told that when it rolls off and starts, it runs great, so as of now I have ruled out a bad IP. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any other suggestions before I throw a new starter on it.

MadMac

Reaction score
The first starter I replaced in my ‘85 6.9 - would not spin fast enough, but it was not the root of my problems It may require pulling it out to find a part number or what not - to make certain it is the diesel version. Mine had a plethora of other issues in the chain, some are difficult to chase. Mine ended up being vacuum related - it was the fuel water separator. Despite having replaced the batteries/starter harnesses, all the GPs and the GP Harness, the solenoids, controller, lift pump, and even the senders in the tanks. Its always the last place you look! Good luck.

jbm6900

Reaction score
Those engines need to spin, trust your gut. & keep the charger hooked up while you're messin w/ it. Notice you didn't mention the glow plugs? Those are also needed for starting. Better check them if you haven't.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
Starter, check the wiring to said starter as well as the connections to the batteries, and either make sure you got at least 6 good glowplugs or coversely with no glowplugs and in a hurry you can give it a (very very faint) whiff of ether,(no glowplugs for at least 5 minutes before doing this) but you have to be careful or youll lock it

Last edited:

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just happen to be dealing with a similar sounding issue on a 2 cyl Volvo diesel: slow crank - no start. After replacing batteries the slow crank persists and am suspecting the starter to be going out.

If going the starter rebuild route does anyone know which part might be the likely culprit? From what I’ve seen the brushes and solenoid are the two parts in most rebuild kits.
Not sure which one would be most relevant in a slow crank scenario

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
I just happen to be dealing with a similar sounding issue on a 2 cyl Volvo diesel: slow crank - no start. After replacing batteries the slow crank persists and am suspecting the starter to be going out.

If going the starter rebuild route does anyone know which part might be the likely culprit? From what I’ve seen the brushes and solenoid are the two parts in most rebuild kits.
Not sure which one would be most relevant in a slow crank scenario
(If its got one) the gear reduction could be gummed up causing drag, in addition to bum bearings and brushes, but unfortunately another common issue is cooked windings causing resistance = slow cranking

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely replace the bushings. The drive end gets worn and allows the shaft to push away from the flywheel causing it to bind in the starter.

James

troyl

Reaction score
Whats up yall, I just inherited a 1988 f450 7.3 idi from my father-in-law. I am not new to the idi engines, I also own a 1985 f350 6.9 idi. The issue with the f450 is getting it to crank. It has not sat for all that long, maybe within the last 6 months, so I’m pretty sure its not gummed up. I put 2 brand new batteries in, and a brand new fuel filter. It turns over freely and acts like it wants to fire up but then just turns over slower and slower. I cracked the # 2 injector to make sure that the system had fuel going to it and it was good, no air bubbles. The fuel filter stayed full. I just don’t think the starter is spinning fast enough. My gut tells me to just put a new started on her, had the same issue with my 6.9 and it seemed like a new starter solved the problem. The cluch is stuck right now otherwise I would just roll it off. I was told that when it rolls off and starts, it runs great, so as of now I have ruled out a bad IP. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any other suggestions before I throw a new starter on it.
Check out this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 7.3 IDI and a 7.3 Power Stroke are two different Engines.

The IDI Engine doesn`t have all the Doo Dads that the PS Engine has.

I started to watch the video for a few minutes, and clicked out of it.
The guy knows the PS platform, helpful if you have one.

Welcome to the Forum.

Goat

MorganRyle

Reaction score
Ok so still having issues starting but got it to crank, starter is good, but still having troubles cranking it the first time after sitting over night. It cranks fine after cycling the glow plugs 3 times then proceed to cranking. After the first initial crank it turns over fine.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the glow plugs before using starting fluid!
Additionally, use starting fluid very, very sparingly.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your Block Heater work?
If so, plug it in, and in the morning it should start. If she starts, that will tell you the GP system is your problem.

If not, then it`s a fuel problem, maybe a drain back, and pulling fuel from the Filter.
Drop the Filter to see if it is full.
or jump the Starter Solenoid on the Fender. Push in on the Shrader valve to see if you have fuel or air sputtering out.
(If auto trans put it in Park or manual neutral, and parking brake on)

Goat

Last edited: