Glow plugs heat at hot start

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long do glow plugs usually last? Is there a recommended replacement interval? Or do you wait for one or more to fail, then change all eight...
If you are running the factory controller, one bad glowplug and you are not going anywhere. The factory controller will not glow the plugs long enough with one bad glowplug. The engine will start with 2 or 3 bad glowplugs if you are using a manual button.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Cubey. Mine have been for around 4 1/2 years. I know that I've put on more than 18,000 miles and they're all still good. Manual control does make a big difference in the lives of glow plugs. They're used usually once a day. Maybe twice in the winter time.
I second this. I put new glow plugs in mine as soon as I got it ( in around '15 or '16). On my manual setup they all seem to still be functioning, I haven't ohmed them but even in sub 0 temps it starts easily and hits on all cylinder immediately.

So long as they don't get over run and the timing isn't crazy advanced they seem to hold up very well.

James

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One upgrade I did to my controller was adding an oil pressure switch - as soon as the engine has oil pressure the GP's are turned off. For hot start, just jump in and crank - oil pressure is almost immediate so no burn.

I have had this fail me once... at the bush overnight at -25 C... truck would start but when the GP's shut off the engine would stall. Easy bypass for this extreme.

My GP's last a very long time now.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really neat idea! ;Sweet I'd need to plumb in a pressure switch, though, since I replaced the original "on/off" sender with an actual variable sender (and jumpered the fixed 20 ohm resistor on the instrument cluster).

I don't recall off the top of my head, is there a disable line to the controller that kills the GPs when grounded?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really neat idea! ;Sweet I'd need to plumb in a pressure switch, though, since I replaced the original "on/off" sender with an actual variable sender (and jumpered the fixed 20 ohm resistor on the instrument cluster).

I don't recall off the top of my head, is there a disable line to the controller that kills the GPs when grounded?
You mean a short circuit failure? Yes, there are two fusible links where the power comes from over on the solenoid on the pass side fender.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean a short circuit failure? Yes, there are two fusible links where the power comes from over on the solenoid on the pass side fender.
No, I'm referring to mblaney's post where he uses an engine oil pressure switch to turn off the glow plugs...

Edit: I looked at the schematic for the glow plugs and it appears that the only way to terminate the glow cycle with oil pressure would be to put a relay in series with the (Red/Light Green) 12V Start/ Run connection, and then use the pressure switch to close the relay contacts. Is that what you did?

Last edited: