Glow plugs

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...

I tried to do my research first...before I felt like I just had to ask...

But...I have not found what I was looking for...so...I gotta ask what seems to be an elementary question...

On an 1985 6.9 NA with spade connectors...will these glow plugs work ok...?

Or is there a much better option for longevity and reliability..? and...where would I get them...?

I plan on getting nine and doing that thing with having one mounted on the dash to watch when I hold my 'controller delete' button...too bad I don't smoke...I could make a little ceremony out of every starting event...

Aside from that...

I already have a new IP and am going to get new/rebuilt injectors and do the whole thing at once...

It is going to be a little stressful since I really don't want to have my truck down any length of time...and it runs ok right now....but I would rather know what I got in terms of everything I am going to replace...instead of waiting for something to go catastrophic on me...

Thanks in advance...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look right. They say Beru on them in the picture, just whether or not the ones you get do.

Although, in my 6.9 I got a set of Beru plugs, and it ate them quickly. But I think I had it set wayyy too advanced.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my limited knowledge, I believe the spade is obsolete and the bullet is the only option. I have a toggle switch on the dash that gives me the option to override the controller or leave it in the normal position so that it acts as it would in the factory set up. This option allows normal operation for the uninformed and prevents system overload with just a basic manual toggle switch.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your wanting to be pro-active. When I got my 93', 16 years ago, it was fairly beat.

I was working in Houston and living between Atlanta and Virginia. I had a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 at the time but it was too pretty/luxurious and not strong enough to do the work I needed to do. I also didn't have much disposable cash. So $3300 later I have the F350.

It seemed like everything needed to be fixed. I had to put new tires on it the next day, Power steering pump leaked. Wouldn't start hot (Classic IP issue). A/C didn't work. Valve cover gaskets leaked. Fuel return leaked. Water pump started leaking. O-ring in the fuel filter head was leaking.

Some would say it was not a reliable truck with all those issues.

I never had a catastrophic failure of anything. Even to this day. Oh wait I lied. When I fixed the A/C, the clutch on the reman compressor failed after 2 months and slung the belt when I was pulling my gooseneck empty to Richmond. Called a buddy, pulled my truck onto the gooseneck and strapped it down. Then he towed me home.

But that was the only time.

I drove it daily and fixed things as I could or had time. Even managed to score an IP at the local international dealer for $435. A steal even then.

I let the GMC go about 3 months after getting the IDI. Didn't care for it anymore.

It was just last June I had to change plans last minute and take it instead of my 2019 Titan XD to Utah and back.

Prep for leaving amounted to an oil change. The only issue I had on the drive that had to be addressed, twice, was a bad sensor on the IP. I did develop a fuel leak in the return system (The number 1 most frustrating thing about the IDI) but it was a 15 minute fix. 4600 miles, never even had to add oil.

My point is, I know it can happen, but catastrophic failure is not something I worry about with this truck. Seems when things I can anticipate fail, I can still get where I'm going and fix it when I have a chance.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZD28s is the only option. In my opinion, all glow plugs suck, but as long as you're running regular diesel and not what ever you have laying around like me the ZD28s that say Beru are the superior option.

As far as IP and injectors, do it all at once. As long as you have "uncommon sence" and understand "basic mathmatics" and maybe stay at a holiday inn express you'll be fine.

-no cupholders were mentioned in this posting so as to stay on topic and not cause distraction from the issue-

-only you can prevent wild fires-

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plug on the dash sounds frightening.
Yeah....but I can't wait to see how fast the windshield will defrost in the winter....if I do that...

Thank you all very much for the advice...you have given me a couple of options...and I am going to decide and pull the trigger on all of this...soon...(can I use that phrase...?)

As an aside...The Girl and I just got back from moving...(hopefully) the last of our stuff from the god-forsaken...d.c. area...it was a two-day chore and we had to fasten the garden hose reel to the trailer tongue...where you would ordinarily put a trapezoid-shaped toolbox for normal people...The Girl did a stellar job of tarping and strapping it all down and secure...

And...on the way back I remembered a story from my days working at a paving company...it is a diesel story...but also a human interest story about two mechanics from different backgrounds...and how they never resolved their differences...but came together on two points of honor...

Stay tuned...and don't touch that dial...!!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Bosch Gp`s in my Mercedes since 97. It is what is used in most all MB. Don`t remember the part # for them, but haven`t replaced very many of them.
They look just about like the 80034 you mention.

I did some Google searching on that number, and every one and their Uncle sells them. Always thought they were all made in Germany like the Beru/Motorcraft Plugs. On one Amazon listing, they are made in China, isn`t everything?

I found them on this site, put in my truck info, and they say the 80024 is the plug for the 6.9 engine, not the 34.
Don`t know what the difference is. Not a bad price.

I Googled what vehicle uses the 80024 and this came up.

Click on the pictures, and box says, made in Japan.

Goat

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80024 is a 6v plug, 80034 is 11v. On manual systems where the controller is bypassed, the glow plugs see a full 12+ volts. The 80034 will hold up better in that application

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1987 6.9 NA with manual glow control and bullet connectors. What's my best bet for plugs?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, all glow plugs suck
That is why I deleted mine. You probably won’t like this, but Cummins makes a plug that goes right in place of our glow plugs. ~$9 a piece, but have o rings included and 8 are cheaper than a set of plugs.

Keep in mind this will lower the compression ratio, from the stock 21.5, to about 20.7, same as an A model 6.9. I have been around one A model that was in rough shape and it started just fine. After a certain point, compression can make starting harder. Takes more effort to spin it over. Old Cat engines are IDI, have like 18:1 compression, and start really good.

I’ll post pics of the plugs in a minute. I’m planning to add a grid heater or metered ether injection system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online