Self regulating glow plugs

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but i must ask, why go through the whole process of swapping everything
to run self regulating plugs instead of just getting a good new controller and not having to worry about
messing with a switch? Just curious about the thought process behind this,
Sometimes you need the glow plugs to do something they might not want to do. So with a switch we are the deciding factor, not a timed relay. Also, some of us use alternative fuels, and we ask a lot of our starting systems.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
Sometimes you need the glow plugs to do something they might not want to do. So with a switch we are the deciding factor, not a timed relay. Also, some of us use alternative fuels, and we ask a lot of our starting systems.
Good to know, thank you.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the beru plugs were as consistent as they used to be, the zd9 would still be the best option. Still might be, but seeing failures in less amount of time than usual.
I have a theory that the ZD9's that are burning out so fast are all knock-offs. But they are so good these days that most people never know, so the BERU gets a bad rap. Until I saw some YouTube videos of what's fake and what's not, I thought I'd be able to tell. I was wrong!
I think the best bet to get legit ones is through the stealership at this point.
Just my little IDI-themed conspiracy theory. LOL

Black dawg

Reaction score
The ones that I have and have had one burnt out here and there are from the dealership. Also have some from another place that sells oe stuff. All looks the same

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The set I bought from the dealer for my 6.9 burned out the fastest…

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but i must ask, why go through the whole process of swapping everything
to run self regulating plugs instead of just getting a good new controller and not having to worry about
messing with a switch? Just curious about the thought process behind this,
I wanted something that was cheap and reliable.

My controller failed first. I understand how a diesel operates, so I don't need a controller to operate the plugs when I can do it just as well. The push button was much cheaper then a new controller, so that's what I installed. After several years in operation, the plugs went next. The cost difference between 60g's and zd9's is minimal, and the 60g being a self-limiting plug, would be more suited to manual button operation. So 60g's went in.

Did the manual button ruin the plugs? I don't know. They don't last forever, and they get ruined by controllers just as often, so that's hard for me to say one way or the other.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this all again. As the big kicker here is that I know how/when the glow system needs to operate. If you don't know that, stick with the automatic system. FYI, don't bank on finding a good new controller or good zd9 plugs from anywhere, dealer included. Parts quality has become a real shot in the dark as of the last few years.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
I wanted something that was cheap and reliable.

My controller failed first. I understand how a diesel operates, so I don't need a controller to operate the plugs when I can do it just as well. The push button was much cheaper then a new controller, so that's what I installed. After several years in operation, the plugs went next. The cost difference between 60g's and zd9's is minimal, and the 60g being a self-limiting plug, would be more suited to manual button operation. So 60g's went in.

Did the manual button ruin the plugs? I don't know. They don't last forever, and they get ruined by controllers just as often, so that's hard for me to say one way or the other.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this all again. As the big kicker here is that I know how/when the glow system needs to operate. If you don't know that, stick with the automatic system. FYI, don't bank on finding a good new controller or good zd9 plugs from anywhere, dealer included. Parts quality has become a real shot in the dark as of the last few years.
I had went to a push button for a while, but recently i have went back to a controller.
I cant yet speak for the longevity of the controller because i have only had it in action
for about a week now, but the rest of the kit is build with quality parts. I just wasnt
sure if their was another reason i wasnt aware of to go to self limiting plugs. Thanks
for the knowledge.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY TO MAKE THESE ENGINES CRANK UP AND KEEP FUEL PUMPING!!!! @The_Josh_Bear is right! There's a conspiracy that is in process to remove our ability to crank up our IDIs and pump fuel to them! Maybe it's vegan aliens that drive electric cars!!
Well with most stuff being, ah, outsourced, to, uh, China, and what with them being able to make whatever quality you requested, and manufacturers cutting costs, then it seems pretty well covered as to why this happens.

I have heard of few issues with Holley pumps, no issues with Walbro pumps

Powermaster has us covered on alternators and starters

Starting fluid has us covered on gettin ‘er to fire

John Deere starting fluid has us covered on starting fluid for when its REALLY cold…

Interstate/Napa has us good on batterys

We’ll make ‘er through the storm, long as we got some form of fuel, our IDIs, America, and of course the good Lord above.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with most stuff being, ah, outsourced, to, uh, China, and what with them being able to make whatever quality you requested, and manufacturers cutting costs, then it seems pretty well covered as to why this happens.

I have heard of few issues with Holley pumps, no issues with Walbro pumps

Powermaster has us covered on alternators and starters

Starting fluid has us covered on gettin ‘er to fire

John Deere starting fluid has us covered on starting fluid for when its REALLY cold…

Interstate/Napa has us good on batterys

We’ll make ‘er through the storm, long as we got some form of fuel, our IDIs, America, and of course the good Lord above.
But what about the vegan aliens?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Recently someone posted a drawing/schematic on one these threads that showed 7.3 IDI Glow Plug Controller Diagram & then it showed Diagram of Modified Controller with pushbutton. Then there was some written directions below it all.

Now I can't find it. I thought I had printed it off but can't find my printing either!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.