Send it in for a core, or Sell it?

GONZO86

Reaction score
My Uncle fell into some cash and gave me his 1993 f350 4x4 auto crew cab long bed, with the banks sidewinder package.

The pick-up only has 150k miles and the body is cherry, however when he parked it he states it made a loud clunking noise sounding like a crank.

I figured the price was right just to throw in a new 7.3l IDI with a turbo, so I ordered it from ford and having it installed as I type.

I got a call today after they pulled the engine and said the problem with the engine was the Flexplate, It had a chunk outa it. With a new flexplate around $200. It could be fixed.

I allready paid in full for the replacement complete drop in. With a $1500 core.

What should I do with the Engine comming out, 150k miles with the banks sidewinder. Pull the turbo and send it in as core or try to sell it complete?

Any input would be great
Thanks
Rod

Pick-up and Engine Located in Sebastopol Ca.
Im in Belgrade MT

Exekiel69

Reaction score
GONZO86 said:
My Uncle fell into some cash and gave me his 1993 f350 4x4 auto crew cab long bed, with the banks sidewinder package.

The pick-up only has 150k miles and the body is cherry, however when he parked it he states it made a loud clunking noise sounding like a crank.

I figured the price was right just to throw in a new 7.3l IDI with a turbo, so I ordered it from ford and having it installed as I type.

I got a call today after they pulled the engine and said the problem with the engine was the Flexplate, It had a chunk outa it. With a new flexplate around $200. It could be fixed.

I allready paid in full for the replacement complete drop in. With a $1500 core.

What should I do with the Engine comming out, 150k miles with the banks sidewinder. Pull the turbo and send it in as core or try to sell it complete?

Any input would be great
Thanks
Rod

Pick-up and Engine Located in Sebastopol Ca.
Im in Belgrade MT

First I would have find out what is wrong with it and fix it, be sure you will use that money from the engine fixing something else or for new upgrades :D . You can allways ask if they would fix it and give you your money back :rolleyes: , if not then allways sale it and let someone else fix it. Now I think that what you should really do is give Me that engine and enjoy the new one yourself. :Sly

GONZO86

Reaction score
PROBLEM

The only problem with the original 7.3 was the flex plate, My uncle said it ran like a ***** date before the clunking noise.

Uncle took it into Ford when it started and they just said with the noise it was a crank bearing. So he parked it and gave it to me.

Once ford tore into it to remove it and install new engine the said it was just the flexplate.

I sure sucks doing this repair crap over the phone. Being 1200 miles away from the pickup and trying to figure it out.

I am flying down on the 12th to Drive her home.

Thanks
Rod

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,I would tell them to refund your money for the engine and fix the flex plate.For two reasons.They told you it was one thing but turned out to be a cheap fix.They screwed up,Not you.Second,I HATE the way ford rebuilds a 7.3L.They just bore it over size like it is a 350 Chevy.The 7.3L has such a bad issue with Cavitation that I would NEVER just bore a block.

GONZO86

Reaction score
FORD

The complete Engine from Ford comes with a new stock turbo. So if the new engine goes in, I will have a complete 7.3l idi with the banks sidewinder for a core.

I will call Them in the AM to see If I can do a return, I belive I will have to pay a restocking fee along with the freight charges. Beats the $9k for the engine itself.

thanks
Rod

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,I would push for the "You screwed up on the diagnosis" bit first.A bad bearing and a chunk of Flex plate wouldn't sound the same.

tractorman86

Reaction score
:backoff i think i would take the new motor since it is prolly already in and u will have to pay for labor, shop fee's, s/h and the restocking fee like u said! put the sidewinder on the new motor(more power i believe) :Sly and sell the old motor with the new turbo. but that's just me!

GONZO86

Reaction score
ford

Just got off the phone with Ford" said 20% restock plus I will have to pay freight one way that is $450"

Up **** creek

Rod

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When FORD said that some work they did for me was not under warranty, This is what worked for me....

Go in the SALES part of the dealership and ask for the SERVICE manager.
Sat in the SALES part of the store, and the more they tell you no, the louder you get that they screwed up, and would not stand behind their work.
Make a SCENE in it SALES area. You should not have to pay for a bad call on their part.

Do not give in to big corporate, screw the little guy, america. Oh, ya, Bring up LOUDLY that when you are ready to trade in this {put age of truck here} that if this is the way they treat their customers you shure as #$%^! will not be buying another ford.

Worked for me, even got my diagnositc fee back, and everything in writing when I was done.

tractorman86

Reaction score
ill get back to u on that, it is the early 94 factory turbo right? also is the sidewinder the wastegated or old version? need to do some digging!

GONZO86

Reaction score
flexplate spacer

Got a call from Ford today an they said when the flexplate ripped apart it messed up the 1" spacer between it and the crank.

They then said Ford or international dont make it anymore so they would send it to a machine shop.

see how this works out

Rod

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online