Wiring harness and thinking about selling

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI Platform whether Ford, Datsun or Mercedes is a simple dependable system.
My other vehicle is a 1985 Mercedes gasser (M110) with mechanical fuel injection (K-Jet?). I don't know a damned thing about it because I've never had to do anything to it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your 85 is a W126? I don`t know squat about the MB Gassers.
I have had the W123`s apart from one end to the other. Really a simple car to work on, very basic....Except the climate control...
The best Heat/AC system is the 240D, all manual.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup and yup.
It's a 280SE (gray market) and the climate control started going wonky a few years ago. I haven't looked into it at all since I don't drive it in the winter and I can live without AC here. I can get some heat when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 7

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good with Euro Bumpers and Head Lights.
Some of the Grey Mkt. one`s had cloth seats, from what I came across in PNP. Even the w123.

So the 280 is the inline 6 double cam over head engine as I remember. (S) it is the (S) class and (E) something in German, maybe Fuel Injected or Gas engine ben a while since I read it.
Great cars and great visibility, not like the junk made today.
I have a 300SD. Our baby is the 80 240D 4-spd.

Pierre Hedary is one guy that has a passion for these cars. Here is a few of his video`s on about every subject. I think he is in Florida.

Goat

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one has tan colored leather. The glass headlight lenses are very nice to have.
The USA-mandated bumpers are hideous. The designers at Benz must have been cringing when having to look at those.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They had to be federalized when the grey mkt. cars came here. install the Park bench Bumpers.
Some of the 126 had a vacuum operated wheel on the dash to realign the head lights when the trunk was loaded. That was disabled.

Today it seems anything goes when it comes to Head lights, Tail lights, Bumpers etc.....
And, Blind spots on new cars is the norm.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 240D today.
Been driving my BIL 240 for a while, since the 86 250 is down for a Clutch etc....
Saw him today..."Hey you want to sell the 240?"
He thought a second...yeah. How much?....$1500. Hand shake, deal done.
This makes #8 W123.
OH good, another Project. :frustrate

Only 2 Fords so far, the 85 and 86.

We jumped the track a bit and taken this thread down a siding.
The 85 has some wiring harness issues I need to figure out. Several Starter looking relays added and wires going...? My 86 doesn`t have.
Has Cruz that the 86 doesn`t have , and it is getting pulled and going, Bu By. One more thing cluttering up the Engine Bay. Gotta figure out where all the wires go.

Goat

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy..so it’s time to dredge up an old post of mine.

There’s a guy I met at the fire station. I drive past his house often and I recently noticed his 2010 dodge parked out back for some time. I guess he messed up part of the body and its brakes are gone, ball joints, tie rods all that jazz need to be gone through. It’s a 6.7 Cummins with the dpf. But he said the motor has been great. He’s open to offers as it’s just sitting and he’s no mechanic.

My truck is just about done after going through it all. I could probably get a decent price for it.

Why do you guys think? What sort of offer for a parked and stove up 2010 Cummins? Crew cab long bed. Or maybe it’s just not worth it. I don’t know the extent of the damage yet but maybe it’s just a front fender and door or something.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy..so it’s time to dredge up an old post of mine.

There’s a guy I met at the fire station. I drive past his house often and I recently noticed his 2010 dodge parked out back for some time. I guess he messed up part of the body and its brakes are gone, ball joints, tie rods all that jazz need to be gone through. It’s a 6.7 Cummins with the dpf. But he said the motor has been great. He’s open to offers as it’s just sitting and he’s no mechanic.

My truck is just about done after going through it all. I could probably get a decent price for it.

Why do you guys think? What sort of offer for a parked and stove up 2010 Cummins? Crew cab long bed. Or maybe it’s just not worth it. I don’t know the extent of the damage yet but maybe it’s just a front fender and door or something.
Automatic or manual? How many miles?

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto..like most new trucks

And I’m not totally clean in the miles just yet. I’m guessing more than 100k and less than 200k

He’s a local fisherman/fire chief and I don’t think he travels very far

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto..like most new trucks

And I’m not totally clean in the miles just yet. I’m guessing more than 100k and less than 200k

He’s a local fisherman/fire chief and I don’t think he travels very far
Less than $20,000 probably won’t buy it. But I might be wrong.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking I can get it much lower than that..I’m aiming for sub 10k

It’s a project he doesn’t want to deal with and has been parked for 5 months.

But would it be a worthy replacement for the old 94? I guess my main issues with the rust free 94 is lack of replacement parts..sub par replacements, and ultimately if my engine goes again it’s not easy to get one of those either right?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Of course I hate all of the electronics on newer vehicles, diesels included. That's why I stick with old, simple IDIs and encourage friends to get one whenever I can. It's just too bad that they're willing to spend way too much (in my opinion) to buy a truck to drive, but aren't willing to pay much less and then add money to make it reliable. Even though they'd have less total money in their IDI powered truck and that's not counting the repairs that they have to make to the newer one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online