Wiring harness and thinking about selling

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe where you're at, but the parts aren't really that unavailable. Of course it depends on what parts you're talking about.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @IDIBRONCO i wouldn’t do it.

Why are you looking for another project? You keeping the 24v? If you are worried about parts and you blow the idi, throw a 12v in there or swap the 24v (but I think that is your winter pickup)

Or maybe you just aren’t fond of the ‘94, or it’s too nice to drive all the time and it could sell for top dollar. If that’s the case, have at it.

I would low ball it for sure. $8k but let him talk numbers first if he will.

As far as parts scarcity, I’m talking out of my bottom but they always seems to be around. Seems a lot of the youtubers reviving old vehicles are still able to find parts, just takes some time.

I knows it unfounded, but I personally take comfort in an all mechanical vehicle that slowly starts to fail with tell tale signs vs boom, one sensor goes and now you are in limp mode.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one sensor goes and now you are in limp mode.
I seldom get that lucky! The primary reason that I have gone back to having 80's trucks is.

1) most failures I dealt with on newer vehicles usually rendered it dead where it sat.

2) even with a snap-on scanner, diagnostics is usually a pain.

3) most things required hours of removing unrelated parts to access the problem part.

4) parts tend to be much more pricey.

James

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4) parts tend to be much more pricey.
My buddies 6.7 Ram just lost the wastegate actuator, apparently from not ever exercising the exhaust brake. After doing goofy boost stuff for a while, it gave him a check engine light and wouldn’t make any power. >$1000 for the replacement part, and the truck was inoperable until he replaced it. Gotta pick your poison: IDI stuff is harder to find but the bill of materials for an IDI is far less complex and when you track down the replacement part, it’s generally a lot less money.

Just my .02 worth, having owned and serviced both mechanical and electronic diesels.

Good luck whichever way you go.

jbm6900

Reaction score
Turbo IDI's are great pullers IF you add a decent flowing exhaust & turn up the ip. Ford detuned them to sell the new at the time powerstrokes. Trailer brakes work wonders, the lift- not so much

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I listed my dodge for sale. To many projects..I tend to agree with the older engine being simple and that being good. So for now I’ll keep it. I’ll grab another turbo idi motor for a future spare and perhaps a 5speed manual swap. The other thing is I just rebuilt the axle, and have tons of new parts all over the truck. So I’d rather not go through all that again.

How much do you guys think it’d cost to replace the lift? It’s a skyjacker. I’m sure it doesn’t help with towing stability.

I only drove this truck like 4 times last year! Crazy to even have one in that case.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Near Telluride CO
A bunch of years ago I was working on a ski resort that was being built in Telluride. That was the first and only job I've ever been on where I had to take a ski lift to get to the job site. Beautiful country out there, if have to be a snowbird though, the winter was rough.... at least for someone used to Florida weather.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm far from a lift kit expert, but I'd guess that would depend on what lift kit you have installed. You may get lucky and be able to just unbolt it to get the truck back to stock. If you bought the truck already lifted, you may not know what kind (brand/height) it is so pictures may be needed.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bunch of years ago I was working on a ski resort that was being built in Telluride. That was the first and only job I've ever been on where I had to take a ski lift to get to the job site. Beautiful country out there, if have to be a snowbird though, the winter was rough.... at least for someone used to Florida weather.
And these CO winters are nothing compared to what I grew up with in SD!!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now what’s my best option to unlift it?
You might put out some feelers on Facebook/Craigslist/OfferUp and try to trade someone their stock setup for your Skyjacker + $$$. But like @IDIBRONCO mentioned, it may be more than a bolt-on setup, we just don't know. I took a quick look back at your original posts but can't even find if you have an F350 or 250. If you get a minute, updating your signature would be helpful.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 350 with a 97 front axle. This truck looks like it’s got a lift right? I like the dodge mirrors and the 19.5 rims.

I’d just need the dually flares, mirrors and wheels and I’d have the same rig.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online