My tires are about 28.5"

Input Parameters Are the Following:

* Differential Gear = 4.56 to 1
* Transmission Gear = 0.72 to 1
* Tire Diameter (Inches) = 28.50
* Vechicle MPH = 65

Computation Results:
# Computed Engine RPM is 2517

Is it possible that my tach is just off that much?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
The fastest you can go period at stock governor with an E4OD and 4.10 gears is 105,bump the governor up to 3600RPM you can get up to 114 but considering I could rev the Enterprise up to 4000RPM in neutral(*** did you do Travis?!?!?!?!) she can do 127.With 373 gears and stock Gov you can turn 115MPH.But with 3.55 in OD with a gear vendor and bumped up Governor(3600) 170MPH(Muh Ha ha ha).
with no engine load, the governor is worthless. the same can be achived with downshifting and letting the engine do the braking down a hill.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
My tires are about 28.5"

Input Parameters Are the Following:

* Differential Gear = 4.56 to 1
* Transmission Gear = 0.72 to 1
* Tire Diameter (Inches) = 28.50
* Vechicle MPH = 65

Computation Results:
# Computed Engine RPM is 2517

Is it possible that my tach is just off that much?
being off by 17rpm is no big deal. remember this is a magnetic signal. but being roughly dead-on to 4.56 is a clear indicator you have been re-geared.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
The fastest you can go period at stock governor with an E4OD and 4.10 gears is 105,bump the governor up to 3600RPM you can get up to 114 but considering I could rev the Enterprise up to 4000RPM in neutral(*** did you do Travis?!?!?!?!) she can do 127.With 373 gears and stock Gov you can turn 115MPH.But with 3.55 in OD with a gear vendor and bumped up Governor(3600) 170MPH(Muh Ha ha ha).

:eek: :eek: 170!!! that is just f-n scarry!:hail know any body wanting to sell that setup for cheep :D :D jk

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:

You should know me I had that pump BUILT - remember bigger is better and faster is better... When the pump was built I asked them to move the gov up a little - he did but would not warranty it because he said that I would have to just accept the fact that I could do some damage - I grinned and went away with my new pump. Now I will say that it never hit 4 grand under a load she will stop around 3600 in gear running down the road - she will fuel up to that point then will start the classic gov slapping and the associated white smoke... I also had him turn the pump up at the same time so I would not have to - again he told me no warranty... But as Towkitty said in neutral all bets are off...

This brings up a question WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING TO THAT ENGINE?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hee hee hee.I'm not telling.Why do you want to know.....Are you afraid......Fear the power of the Force BORG Boy.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I will say that 170MPH in a truck that has the aerodynamics of a Freight Train ain't something I would care to test....It think I will settle for lower Triple digits...Hell,120-140 is fast enough for me.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea i am satisfied with the 105-120 my truck will do. i love her but dont want to die with her for god's sake!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A buck 70 in a brick would be scary.....a bit looney too cookoo .

I should be able to hit 132 at 3300 when I drop the 4.10 out and put in a 3.08 ring and pinion in the dually this weekend for a fuel economy test...... but I have no intention of trying it.

Hmmmmmmm let's see what it would do with a bump to 3600 on the governor, aGear Vendor OD on the ZF5 and 3.08...........185 mph:rock:....YIKES!!! Now if I can get the governor to 4000 I can make it to an insane 206 mph :thumbsup:

Here's a good site with gear ratio calculators etc. http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm hope this helps some of you work out gearing on your trucks.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hey,You could outrun the field at Talladega with that setup......If you could keep it on the ground that is.And you might have to draft big time.....hee hee hee,Bump drafting could be fun.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey,You could outrun the field at Talladega with that setup......If you could keep it on the ground that is.And you might have to draft big time.....hee hee hee,Bump drafting could be fun.

That's a hoot......:Hitit You can use one of those big rubber bumpers they put on wreckers to bump draft, might double good for a front spoiler :rotflmao and drop the tailgate and shorten the cables for a rear spoiler. When the race is over just put the tailgate back up, hook up to the camper and go home.

Can you imagine what kind of HP & Torque numbers you'ld have to pull to overcome the aero drag at 206 on these bricks.

I don't pull a trailer with my truck which is why I'm dropping all the way to a 3.08 gear. The only reason I have a dually is because when I put my tractor and finish mower in the bed my tires always looked flat with singles and I didn't like that on longer trips. It seems like I'm always looking for about 2 more gears to pull on this thing once I get into 5th.

tractorman86

Reaction score
tonkadoctor said:
A buck 70 in a brick would be scary.....a bit looney too cookoo .

I should be able to hit 132 at 3300 when I drop the 4.10 out and put in a 3.08 ring and pinion in the dually this weekend for a fuel economy test...... but I have no intention of trying it.

Hmmmmmmm let's see what it would do with a bump to 3600 on the governor, aGear Vendor OD on the ZF5 and 3.08...........185 mph:rock:....YIKES!!! Now if I can get the governor to 4000 I can make it to an insane 206 mph :thumbsup:

Here's a good site with gear ratio calculators etc. http://www.4lo.com/4LoCalc.htm hope this helps some of you work out gearing on your trucks.

OOOOOOOO sounds fun(insane cookoo but fun :Sly !!!)!!!!!! :rock: :Thumbs Up 206 might be worth going for in a different bodied truck or car with one hell of a suspension in the front :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online