Send it in for a core, or Sell it?

tractorman86

Reaction score
:confused: well all i can find is the #'s for the wastegated sidewinder and it boasts 48% gain in hp and 40% gain in torque which puts it round 275hp and 490 ft-lb not bad #'s but the ats kit advertises 50% gain in hp with their new design and no info on the design they used on the 94s -cuss

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an important lesson - Be sure before throwing parts at trucks. Particularly engines and transmissions.

All it would have taken was to put the truck up on a lift, and isolated the noise with a stethescope.

The motor is paid for - what do you do?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:
:confused: well all i can find is the #'s for the wastegated sidewinder and it boasts 48% gain in hp and 40% gain in torque which puts it round 275hp and 490 ft-lb not bad #'s but the ats kit advertises 50% gain in hp with their new design and no info on the design they used on the 94s -cuss

The factory turbo stock exhaust is too restrtictive, my buddy has it, the factory turbos are relativey anemic compared to aftermarket turbos, I would guess that the factory turbo with big exhaust would see drastic improvements.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as yourengine swap goes...the money is already spent, you are flying in to pick up the truck. Proceed with the original plan of putting in the factory rebuild. there are laws and remedies in Kali for licensed repair shops when they do a misdiagnosis...BUT... you better have time and money to persue a claim. If not call it a lesson. You will be docked for not having a factory turbo as a core, so the choice is up to you for keeping the core and eating the deposit. iirc the ding on the turbo is 5-600bux. So your core would be reduced to 1k. As someone else said it earlier...take it as a lesson.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
All you need is a core - right?

Where is the truck at - maybe someone local can find you a core to send in.

snatchal

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of lessons learned,
"This one has become a bit of a swap meet. Rather than delete, though, I will simply lock so the other information is not lost.
Dave / Believer45 "
Be careful what you post at STD :rolleyes:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would eat the core and put it up for sale or keep it as a backup. If you drive like I do and do performance mods like I do you'll need said engine - if you drive like a sane person and don't live by the motto bigger is better then you'll do fine selling it... Heck strip the turbo off it and stuff it on ebay - it will be gone in a week for around 800+ clams, then your only down 700 which you can get that from someone on the with a good engine with no turbo...

I would stuff both on ebay (turbo in one auction and engine in the other - both with no reserves and both starting out at $1 - trust me they will pull their market value when the auction ends)... You'll more than likely come out ahead on the deal, could go the other way but I doubt it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I have that spacer ,and I pm.ed you at the "other" site. let me know if you need it and where to ship
russ

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I am about to have a conniption fit here. I can give you the core less turbo. I kind of need a motor to replace the two marginal ones I have. I only live a couple hours east of you in Montana. Throw that sucker in the back of the truck. I'll pm you with my contact info. PM me with yours if interested.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:
Got news for you. Those numbers are hype to sell product. The goat diddler got numbers of (iirc) 215 on the rollers back when the "E" was running pretty darn good. honestly speaking, there isn't a clear winner in the high HP race for turbo packages. If there was, there wouldn't be three makers in the market still. We're not exactly a high demand market anymore. But there is still enough unturbo'd IDI's running around to make it worth their efforts to keep stocking the product. But as far as the factory turbo offering goes, that one is the lowest in HP production. Why? Ford had to make sure it was castrated to ensure a market for the new PSD. Turbo'd IDI's with a little massaging will run circles around early stock PSD's.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat is right, those Banks #s are sort of inflated. It may well make them at the crank under teh right conditions but the real world #s at the wheels will be more like 190-200HP and 380-400 lbs-ft torque. As to the reason the factory turbo improvement is anemic....from what I have read the stock downpipe is flattened to clear the firewall, the same reason you have to put a lift on or cut away part of the firewall lip to get an aftermarket kit with a real downpipe to clear the firewall. Towcat may be right that it was a marketing ploy to promote the early PSD, sounds plausible, but the main reasons are 1) restrictive downpipe 2) stock fuel settings, gotta turn up the fuel before you see much increase in power.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Towkitty is right... Those numbers are a little off...

Yep The E rolled 201~3ish and 387 in 4th gear with TC locked - Everyone that rode in her or drove her said "This has to be about the strongest running IDI I've ever seen" so you take those numbers that Banks lists in the sales flyer and fly them out the winder... I have driven another members truck and it performed pretty darn close to the E and it was a non wastegated Banks - then I have ridden in a few ATS stuffed ones and they all feel pretty much the same.

The difference comes in how the turbo is mounted (location wise) on the engine and in Banks is more centered over the engine while the ATS is cocked off towards the passengers side more so - but it boils down to 6 of one and half dozen of the other...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
snatchal said:
"This one has become a bit of a swap meet. Rather than delete, though, I will simply lock so the other information is not lost.
Dave / Believer45 "
what did i miss something?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
snatchal said:
Dave / Believer45 "

What?? did i miss something???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle