Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

oldpowerstroke

Reaction score
Enjoy reading/watching you progress with the ultimate truck build. Gives me direction when/if I start working on my Old PSD, 97 F350 CC 4WD. Definitely could use improvement.
Thanks. oldpowerstroke

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took the rear crossmemebrs out. approx mounted height. need to check once i have the bed on.
Going to make a holder/skid plate for it out of some 16 gauge sheet and a frame made from some 1" angle iron to give it rigidity. The tank will be held sindie this cage with some 3m double sided tape, ro some kind of non water holding foam to keep it from getting rashed.
You must be registered for see images attach

but have strongly been considering making a wooden flatbed..totally different look though.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i can get liek two more inches then servicing the rear diff will be no sweat. Right now you gotta kinda crawl right under the axle to undo the top bolts. Not really an issue, but id rather tuck it up as far as absolutely possible. Definitly a solid 3"+ if i do flatbed..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are you doing about your spare tire? I thought about a big tank in the rear but I worried about the spare tire and trailer hitch.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never had a spare tire under the truck. Always had two tanks. Im just going to bolt the spare (when i buy a fullsize matching spare) bolted to the bed somewher,e or if i need the bed ill throw it in the back seat area.
Im still considering doing a flatbed, and have my crane mounted behind the cab like the big boys have. And a lockable job box in front of it. or Thinking twin underbed toolboxes.

Have some flip down sides for the bed.

no worries about trailer hitch, i got the factory class 5 on it and there is plenty room. hte tank doesnt stick out past the rear frame rail, while the closest inboard part of the hitch is past the frame rail.

Got my copper nickle brake line in today.

Need to figure out what size and fittings I need for my flex lines to the axles.

Fuel fill neck will be 1.5" ID marine fuel hose,

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not much happening at the moment, ordered a socket for the nut on the np205 transfer case yokes,

picked up a front 06 driveshaft for 50 bucks,
got cat yellow paint for the drivetrain, metalshield came in,
turbo blanket came in,
got my metal for the fuel tank skid plate,
2 missing body mounts came in so i can order the stainless bodymount hardware and rear 1/2" bolts that hold the shocks.
Going to run the rear brakeline and the front brake line on the axles today
sending unit and lock ring for the excursion tank also came in.

so my chassis is basically donne minus wiring and brake line and fuel line. . Bolting up the tow bar on monday to transport it to my new house which I am renting while waiting for short sale approval..damn these short sales suck!

Picking up a 60 gal husky pro 220v 10 cfm@90psi compressor today or tomorrow to do my sandblasting with. Tear down of the truck will commence 2nd week of september.

First weekend gotta go bakc to canada to get my gantry crane my dad has been putting otgether for me and grab my 220v welder. Probably going to ship my dad in to the satates with me so he can help with wiring up the garage with 220 and just lend a hand with general truck stuff. Monday or tuesday (sept 8) the body and cab should be coming off!

What is a good and inexpensive electric lift pump? Wondering if i can run the lift pump in series with the mech lift pump? Or i saw somewhere a guy ran it in parallel?

Also, gotta order up a new Tstat, valve cover gaskets, and coolant filter!

and as riot said, this is now unrealistic, or i should say-no budget. I recall saying like 3k..just my roller alone was 4k with new wheels and tires, and i dont even want to get into how much ive spent on all the toher items..oh well, ims still convinced its cheaper than a newish truck, and most importantly I BUILT it, which gives me the most pleasure.

PS gotta love amazon prime! 72" of .125 thick 1"x1" angle iron for 14 bucks shipped to my door in 2 days.
amazing.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't run the electric in series. The diaphragm will rupture and fill the crank case with fuel. The dura lift pump that is popular here is available for around $85 plus shipping. Search google it comes up in a aftermarket truck repair place.

I've bought metal from them before too. I don't loose money on my prime membership. :)

I feel ya on the budget. I thought I'd be all pretty much in on mine for 11-12k. I'm almost there and I haven't done any body work yet. My dad asked me the other day what I was going to have in it. I just laughed and told him he didn't really want to know.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS gotta love amazon prime! 72" of .125 thick 1"x1" angle iron for 14 bucks shipped to my door in 2 days.
amazing.

Lol I could have sold it to you for $3.30 plus tax. Oh yeah PLUS SHIPPING too

Gotta love having all the steel and aluminum you need right at your fingertips. I take it for granted too often....:dunno

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so tried towing it with the towbar., Wont track. guess theyre not enough weight on the front so the wheels do whatever they want. Had to flatbed it to new house.

frame actually looks pretty dinky with those 37s under it

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5k views!
pricing some metal for my flatbed build for the truck. Looks like I can get in right around 300 bucks, and the weight of the bed will be 342 lbs. Doesnt include the 2" thick wood, lift gate or stake sides (my current cage than u can see .
Waiting on a few quotes back for the metal for my flatbed. Need to grab it tomorrow or LATEST monday, as monday i plan on tearing the truck down.

couple of pics from my new place. I lost a rear bay nuy gained width as i dont have to share. Im renting the place im supposed to buy. Friggin love it out here, 3 acres, only 1 neighbor, quiet, lots of nature.

Tonight im getting material to build some decent storage shelving. Nobody has anythign decent for sale so just going to build my own for under 40 bucks.

my new ferd i picked up. getting a 2 stage 48" snow blower for for it tonight.

this is my load regurgutated into my new garage

getting some progress...got a buyer for the wheel balancer and washer. just gotta chop that dryer now.

this is the last picture i am taking of my buddy Toby aka ********* in his current phorm.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up some steel for the flatbed. forgot one peice of 2" so grabbing that today along with a 10' 5" 3/16 I beam for my gantry crane.
flatbed is 6x9 usable loading deck.
Didnt realize lumber uses stupid dimensions so I have to get cusotm boards for my flatbed (had 2" depoth for a 2x12 originally, but didnt realize 2" lumber really is 1.5"..)
anyway got a local lumber yard cutting me true 2" by 5.5" by 9' white oak. $17 bucks a board, need 13 of em, $221 bucks. A little expensive but its a nice hard wood, true 2" thick hope it lasts me 10+ years.

thinking of putting stacks and small toolbox behidn the cab thru the deck, so then i cna use my current cage spaced back a foot, and still have 8' deck and can tie the sides in with a quick release pin to the lift gate and have a fully boxed in section. OR modify my cage to be 9ft long?

The red lines are where I will be placing a spare 3/16 3" i beam for extra bending strength. Front beam will support the underbed toolboxes, rear I beam will hold the mudflaps.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
building and erecting the gantry crane.

10' tall

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mocked up an old 91 steering column i have with the new 06 column and shaft. i think from steering wheel hub to wher eit mount sot the box is exactly the same length which is nice. Obviously the new column has those big square plastic pieces, i will take those off and possibly just use a handkerchief as the c9olumn shroud like I have on my foxbody. I like it.

today I am getting ready to pull the fenders, hood and hopefully the bed! I forgot to get some work light son a tripod stand from HF so ill have to make due with my floor unit but well see ho wshe goes. Planning on pullin the cab hopefully tomorrow but realistically, probably w4ednesday.

I have 5 weeks to my soft deadline to get thing thing fully done and ready. That is new floor, fab turbo system, make flatbed, go thru the liftgate and fix anythign that it needs, paint, and i hope everyhting will just plop right on more less ontpo the new frame. ...jesus. and i cant even work on it this weekend.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

looks like its pretty darn close.

Figutred ill pick up the horn/airnbag for naother 50 bucks from my yard and just roll with the entire new steerign wheel and column. Not gunna mess around with the aftermarket wheels for now.
Shes a tilt column too, sweet! Going to try to wire up the steering wheel buttons to do things.
Would be nice if i can use the turnstalk/winshield wiper combo to actually ocntrol my wiper blades too.