motor "set" in....

tractorman86

Reaction score
yup IH red is a great color, i've got a 666 and 756 both hi-crops and a 784 cool tractors wanna buy one?:D

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a magazine from 1979 that was either car&driver or motor trend, cant remember which one but it had a big article on the scout diesel, the chevy truck with the infamous 5.7 diesel and a dodge truck with an inline nissan diesel. (very few people know that dodge had a diesel truck in the late seventies) None of them at the time had a turbo, the scout and especially the dodge were extremely underpowered.
I knew someone that had an 81 scout with a turbo, pretty neat little truck. I also remember international offering a 100,000 mile warranty on the scout turbo diesel engine in another magazine I had from 1981. If I'm correct, 81 was the last year for the scout.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a magazine from 1979 that was either car&driver or motor trend, cant remember which one but it had a big article on the scout diesel, the chevy truck with the infamous 5.7 diesel and a dodge truck with an inline nissan diesel. (very few people know that dodge had a diesel truck in the late seventies) None of them at the time had a turbo, the scout and especially the dodge were extremely underpowered.
I knew someone that had an 81 scout with a turbo, pretty neat little truck. I also remember international offering a 100,000 mile warranty on the scout turbo diesel engine in another magazine I had from 1981. If I'm correct, 81 was the last year for the scout.
Actually, Scout production ended in October 1980....and, I believe that even those were sold as 1980 model year vehicles. My old Scout II was built on September 1980 and was titled as a 1980 model vehicle. BTW, even the turbo SD-33 was underpowered cookoo

Also, I thought that the Dodge trucks had Mitsubishi diesels? It's a bit ironic that they DIDN'T use the Nissan diesel, because the SD-33 was a joint-venture between Nissan and Chrysler...

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, Scout production ended in October 1980....and, I believe that even those were sold as 1980 model year vehicles. My old Scout II was built on September 1980 and was titled as a 1980 model vehicle. BTW, even the turbo SD-33 was underpowered cookoo

Also, I thought that the Dodge trucks had Mitsubishi diesels? It's a bit ironic that they DIDN'T use the Nissan diesel, because the SD-33 was a joint-venture between Nissan and Chrysler...

You are right, I just found a story about it, it was a mitsu.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yes, '80 was the last year and MOST of the scouts were Turbo SD33T 4 spd 4x4.... it was VERY sluggish, pulling out on a hill was a TASK! :puke::rotflmao only at about 55 mph crusing was it OK with a little boost built up. ....can't wait to have that 6.9L and ALMOST get the same milage!! *evil laugh* ;Sweet:love:;p;Sweet

-Jon

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, '80 was the last year and MOST of the scouts were Turbo SD33T 4 spd 4x4.... it was VERY sluggish, pulling out on a hill was a TASK! :puke::rotflmao only at about 55 mph crusing was it OK with a little boost built up. ....can't wait to have that 6.9L and ALMOST get the same milage!! *evil laugh* ;Sweet:love:;p;Sweet

-Jon
Try going up that hill while towing a Chrysler LeBaron on a U-Haul dolly...1300 degrees POST-TURBO EGT for 5 minutes with the pedal to the rust in 2nd gear going 25 miles per hour = bad thing cookoo who'd have thunk it? :rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a turbocharger;Really

Seriously, looks like an awsome project and that thing will have more torque than anybodies business.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I don't see a turbocharger;Really

Seriously, looks like an awsome project and that thing will have more torque than anybodies business.

they're sitting on the shelf where they make em! LOL i'm goin N/A for the summer so i can use it! ;Sweet funds don't allow for the turbos YET, but once i get it going come winter i'll have a few months to work on it!

and towing a car with a diesel scout?! seesh, i was afraid to drive it if i had 2 people in the truck! :rotflmao

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
painted the trans and bolted in the engine and trans in for good! ;Sweet:D:love:

-Jon

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21
  • trans2.jpg
    trans2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 40
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 30
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 38
  • shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 18

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question was asked before, but if it was, I don't remember the answer....did you use a T-19 out of a Ford, or the T-19 that was originally in the Scout with a Ford bellhousing bolted in place? Obviously you're using the Scout gearshift lever...

I never removed the transfer case from the tranny on my old Scout, so I don't even know if the transfer case/tranny bolt pattern's the same...OTOH, it looks like you're either going with a divorced transfer case or you're going 2 wheel drive?

Looking good!!! I need another Scout someday :angel:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great. No paint for the bell housing?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
;Sweet i cant wait to get to that point.

the front of a Scout T-19 is way differant from a Ford T-19, got a couple in the garage if you want pics. the Scout input shaft is like a foot long.

i am planning on putting the Scout output shaft in my Ford case to bolt up my Jeep transfer case.
Jon any chance you got a set of wide ratio gears around?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
going divored NP205 outta a IH pickup,and the transmissions are different. the bellhousing was all scummy looking and all the cleaning i did it still looked like it had a skin disease, so i painted it aluminum LOL. and nope no wide ratios, they'd be in my '78 already if i did! ;Sweet

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
here's the twist on breather i'm using for my RDT;Sweet, and the stainless throttle cable mocked up.

-Jon

Attachments

• breather vent.jpg
    breather vent.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 49
  • throttle cable.jpg
    throttle cable.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 34

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I have to say, that is going to be one beautiful rig when it's barreling down the road leaving two big, black streaks along the sky!

Also, that is an interesting idea on the oil fill cap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes