IDI Head Studs

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Over on the other site a member named JOEjohn is making studs for our motors. I have asked some questions and will post the replys when I get them. Finally somebody has stepped up to the stud plate. I sure hope it works out for all of us. This is something we really need....;Sweet :thumbsup:

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
ARP has been making Head Stud's for the 6.9 and the 7.3 already! Unless his price is better and if it is just as good or better.......JMO

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ARP has been making Head Stud's for the 6.9 and the 7.3 already! Unless his price is better and if it is just as good or better.......JMO
ARP does make it for the 6.9. Not for the 7.3. They can cobble up one for you but it will cost you dearly. head bolt diameters are different between the two.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
ARP does make it for the 6.9. Not for the 7.3. They can cobble up one for you but it will cost you dearly. head bolt diameters are different between the two.

http://www.dps-performance.com/

I beg to differ sir LOL :backoff ..... Click on "Trucks", then click on "1983 - 1994 6.9 and 7.3L idi Naturally aspirated", Then click on " 7.3L Head Stud Kit NEW!! "
And there you go!!!!!:thumbsup:

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
have you bought a set from DPS yet?
:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Well I guess that I need a 7.3IDI for starters LOL. But I would like to see them for myself. He might have a contract with ARP (to buid so many) to make them for DPS! Thats always a possibility. Has anyone bought a set (for the 7.3IDI) yet????

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i read those studs from DPS have a lower strenght rating than the ARP studs for the 6.9. also read its like finding a chevy that runs good to get a set.

definatly interested ICFA.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
i read those studs from DPS have a lower strenght rating than the ARP studs for the 6.9. also read its like finding a chevy that runs good to get a set.

definatly interested ICFA.

Well if the 7.3IDI Studs are "H13" (not sure on the rating) and H-11 are 240,000 psi tensile strength. I would think H-13 would be a little more????

As for the 6.9 Head Studs from "DPS stud kit uses a premium grade 8740 alloy rated at 220,000psi tensile strength."

And ARP uses 8740 as well. "ARP uses a premium grade 8740 alloy that is rated far superior
to “aircraft” quality. Then, each stud is placed vertically in special racks and precisely
heat-treated to 200,000 psi."

Here is the ARP Site:

http://video.arp-bolts.com/catalog/ARPCatalog.pdf

Also it depends on who installed them! If they didn't install them right.....Then I can see problems with any of them! JMO

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought 1/2 x 7 studs from arp's stock and used them for head studs. Working fine so far, much better than stock and you can actually get them, I tried for 3 months to get some from dps, never happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7