Hurricane!

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for the power company also so I am anxious to see what this will bring up to Maine/New England. The overtime can pay nice, but working 17 hour stressful days gets old pretty fast. But maybe some locations where people didn't want their trees cut/trimmed just might get leveled. Good luck and I hope everyone makes it through without too much damage.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i know we got a few jersey members, you doc, goose, danielle, and a few others. all be safe over there, i aint far from ya, we saposed to get hit hard too. 5-10 inches of rain and up to 75 mph gusts for PHILLY! no good. lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For a lot of you looking at the above picture... those guys are working the lines hot. Sometimes you can count how many insulater fins they have and know what the line voltage is. This line appears to be around 13 thousand volts.. another funny note... none of those line at the top of any pole have insulation on them. Its just bare wire....:eek: The power poles have a design about the "levels" of power they carry. The top lines are from a sub station or yard. usually high voltage. Then just down from them you see those big cans. Thats a transformer that breaks down the voltage to a business or home voltage. Then the lower cables are the cable TV or the phone lines. Each level has a minum height from the ground too. Sure glad I don't climb poles. thats a tuff job right there. Those linemen-splicers get there pay when most of us are inside because its raining... Windy or freezing outside... Kinda like a firefighter.. We run from fires... They run towards the fire... Thats not a normal human responce. My hats of to them....:hail

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the '80's I was working for the township I live in. I was driving north on route 35 when a cement truck was going south. The truck clipped the pole and brought down the wires across both sides of the highway. I took the truck I was driving and went sideways to block the traffic on the north bound side. Got on the radio and called the accident in. Then I got out of the truck jumped the Jersey barrier to make sure the guy was ok which he was.

In jumping over the barrier I ran across the wires that were arcing without thinking about it. The wires were the bare ones you spoke of and they left holes in the pavement. I guess it did not help that it was also raining out and when the power company came they told me I was lucky because there is 60,000 volts on those wires.

I guess now we know why they make the big bucks they do. It's not something I would even consider doing.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't sound crazy at all. you sound like a loving pet owner and want the best for your pets. ;Sweet good luck to you and you pets.

Thanks. About 10:30{M I called one of my sisters. I was hoping that she was up and she was. She said she got home about 15 minutes ago and when she got home she said to William (my nephew-her son) "I wonder what John is going to do". So she said come over their tomorrow with the pets so that's what I am going to do even though it would have been cool to see what would happen here at the same time sticking around might be stupid. I probably would have stayed as long as I could have if I did not have the dog and cats but I don't want to jeopardize their lives. She lives pretty far inland and although the hurricane is going to affect where she lives it will not be as bad as it is here living across the street from the bay.

She has two dogs herself and my first time over their with Lola about 3 years ago her dogs allowed her in without any problems and they acted like she was part of the family to her. Even allowing her to lay in one of their beds. :thumbsup: Usually first meetings of different dogs don't usually work out like that, especially when they are in their homes on their territory.

Now I just have to hope for the best and that my apartment is ok when I get back. If not then I will be homeless. :eek:

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang in there you north carolina people. Looks like you getting hammered on the radar. We should start to feel in a few hours.

Im debating on staying up or catching a few z's and waking up to it........

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 5:15 am here in Williamston, NC we have alreadry had 4 1/4 inches of rain and the wind is begining to pick up. I'm 100 mile west of the Outer Banks and 50 miles east of I-95 Eason

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some nasty gusts last night but not much more then a lot of trees and limbs down. Already cut a few trees out of the road this morning and it seems more keep dropping by the hour.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5:25 pm over 11 inches of rain. Trees down limbs all over the yard. It's going to be a mess to clean up tomorrow. Eason

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, hurricane will hit at 10 o'clock tonight around here, got my chainsaws all filled up and ready to go, and of course the truck, ready to go out and help folks if need be.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Brad did you ever hear of Odonnel Line construction?

Cant say that I have Bill. I have worked for Matrix, PARR, MJ, Asplundh,Hawkeye,JBL, Henkels&McCoy,MAss Electric,DAiDone,Etc. Odonell may be just in OH, I dont know.

For a lot of you looking at the above picture... those guys are working the lines hot. Sometimes you can count how many insulater fins they have and know what the line voltage is. This line appears to be around 13 thousand volts.. another funny note... none of those line at the top of any pole have insulation on them. Its just bare wire....:eek: The power poles have a design about the "levels" of power they carry. The top lines are from a sub station or yard. usually high voltage. Then just down from them you see those big cans. Thats a transformer that breaks down the voltage to a business or home voltage. Then the lower cables are the cable TV or the phone lines. Each level has a minum height from the ground too. Sure glad I don't climb poles. thats a tuff job right there. Those linemen-splicers get there pay when most of us are inside because its raining... Windy or freezing outside... Kinda like a firefighter.. We run from fires... They run towards the fire... Thats not a normal human responce. My hats of to them....:hail

gary is right. We were changeing out old fuse and had to keep the lines hot for the customers, so we had to put in jumpers, then changer out each fuse with the fuiberglass sticks. the voltage is phase to ground of 7200 volts and phase to phase is 12,600 volts. In the pic we are installing the jumper

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Cant say that I have Bill. I have worked for Matrix, PARR, MJ, Asplundh,Hawkeye,JBL, Henkels&McCoy,MAss Electric,DAiDone,Etc. Odonell may be just in OH, I dont know.

gary is right. We were changeing out old fuse and had to keep the lines hot for the customers, so we had to put in jumpers, then changer out each fuse with the fuiberglass sticks. the voltage is phase to ground of 7200 volts and phase to phase is 12,600 volts. In the pic we are installing the jumper

What Brand of Buckets YouGuys use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online