Hurricane!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had a friend of the landlords come to borrow a generator this morning.he said it was supposed tobe coming thisway again.dunno though,havent heard much more yet :dunno

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the power is back on finally. After three days of being without power the electric company had allocated 2 bags of ice and one gallon of water per day through Foodtown. You would have thought they would have done it sooner. The power was out for five days. The past few nights I was using my small inverter which plugs in the cigarette lighter and converts 12V DC to 120AC. With that I was able to have a 40watt light, a 5" TV and my digital converter a few hours a night. In hooking up the digital converter I found that WPIX has a channel called antenna TV. They show all the old shows from the 70's and early 80's like All In The Family. That is one channel that is not available on cable.

Being through the hurricane was a breeze compared to being without power for 5 days although I think if the hurricane was as strong as they were predicting I would have been flooded out. The apartment in the back that is separate from the rest was flooded out. That apartment sits lower than the rest.

The water on the apartment where I live came up to the bottom edge of the siding below floor level so that's why it did not flood. The crawlspace in the building next to me is flooded with about 3 feet of water. Probably within a few inches of the floor beams. On the other building that runs parallel to that one also has the basement flooded with about 6 feet of water. The people living in those two units do not have hot water due to the hot water heaters being in the basement as well as the furnace. Fortunately the rest have the hot water heaters in the attic as well as the furnace.

The only complaint I have is that although they made the evacuation mandatory (You could stay at your own risk) they did not allow pets at the shelter which is understandable and they had the mandatory evacuation on Saturday with provisions to have pets sheltered but not until Sunday. So what does a person do with their pets between the evacuation time and the next day when they were going to have the pets in the shelter which you would have to transport. That means not only do you not know what to do with them when you were able to shelter them they wanted you to drive in a hurricane. I will be calling the SPCA and the Middletown OEM next week to complain about that.

The next time they should make provisions for pets right away and then maybe people would be more willing to evacuate. Other shelters did allow pets but those shelters were 70 miles away. If they can make provisions for pets at the same time people are being evacuated, why can't they do the same in Central Jersey.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I hear ya, we have a pet shelter here, they have some cages or you can bring your own and you must stay with your pet. We had alot of flooding here and in pamlico county, hwy 12 got washed out in several places.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compu I am right in Monroe. When Katia hits let me know if you need anything. I have dogs and I know what you mean. I was super lucky this time around. My only issue was DirecTV not working.

My brother's house is still flooded though. F U Bound Brook :(

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we still have no power in places.my friends place being one of them.electric company says it could be monday when they get power back.havent heard much about the next one.but was told that it could be pretty bad.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, we have a pet shelter here, they have some cages or you can bring your own and you must stay with your pet. We had alot of flooding here and in pamlico county, hwy 12 got washed out in several places.

That's the only way to make sure that the right pet is re-united with the rightful owner. I think people would have no problem staying with their pet and prefer to stay with them.

Compu I am right in Monroe. When Katia hits let me know if you need anything. I have dogs and I know what you mean. I was super lucky this time around. My only issue was DirecTV not working.

Thanks will do. Hopefully it will not hit here. Their is no way we can handle two in a season let alone one week or so.

My brother's house is still flooded though. F U Bound Brook :(

we still have no power in places.my friends place being one of them.electric company says it could be monday when they get power back.havent heard much about the next one.but was told that it could be pretty bad.

I was looking on a chart today that was posted on our town website yesterday. They have exact numbers of people that will be restored from day to day. Why is that?. Is it planned outages like it was with the refinery cutting production on a preventive measure. We all know that was the plan to just raise the prices again if you ask me.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if its planned,but wouldnt doubt it.around here the electric guys arent getting any overtime,none.around 3:30 they start packin the trucks up and going home.they say my friend wont have power till saturday or sunday.its only his street without power in his area.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here they were working 24/7 and had guys from as far as Ohio but that is because First Energy Corporation which owns JCP&L also owns other power companies. Of course if the guys from JCP&L were needed elsewhere in the First Energy areas they would be sent.

Here is a pic of the back of the apartment where I live.

You must be registered for see images attach

Had the storm been as predicted I think I would have been flooded out. When walking out my front door it is only 8" down to the sidewalk from the doorway. The gray buildings you see are part of a townhouse complex that thankfully I don't live in. I think they would hate to see my truck everyday parked because it would not fit in a garage and of course they have the HOA,

As much as those places cost to buy or rent you would think that they would have allowed people to have a generator. I am not sure if it is against the HOA rules but if I was living in one of those places I would have had a generator and could not have cared less about the HOA rules.

You can see that they sit higher with 2 car garages underneath so if it were to flood really bad the garages would get hit on those first. Just to the right of the pic out of view where you can only see partially the trim of the roof line sits the apartment of our complex that got flooded. It has a sunken living room that became a pond. It would have made a great temporary home for Koi fish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent