Speedometer, Tranny, ABS, PSOM ongoing problems

KenIDI93

Reaction score
I'm still dealing with speedometer fluctuating. This situation seems common when talking to others.
When first began to battle the speedometer fluttering (it begins around 45 mph; then at 70 mph it hopes back-n-forth to 60 mph). The tachometer also was fluttering some. Disconnecting the abs, behind the glovebox and the tachometer runs smooth and indicates proper rpms. 7.3 and E4OD. Disconnecting the ABS, should that affect the VSS, speedometer PSOM function/operation, regarding transmission function? In checking wiring diagrams, it looks like the ABS and VSS are(?) able to be not tied together?

E4OD has been rebuilt by professional shop. PSOM was sent out for inspection/repair 1+ year go. 3rd VSS installed.
Then on a 200 mile trip, going up a hill, the speedometer began wildly bouncing between 80 mph and 20 mph!! The LED light on the automatice transmission shift arm began blinking. I cross my fingers and drove it another 40 miles. Stopped and shut off engine, for fuel. When started up, put in Drive and it began to lurch forward forseveral yards, then seemed to smooth out and take hold while drive 5 miles where it was parked for the weekend. Checked tranny fluid, all indicated full.
No signs of any leaking tranny fluid.
3-days later, started up and had to rev to 2800 rpms to get it to engage the tranny and move slowly forward. Drove around in large open parking like and it did move reward in 1st, then 2nd and then 3rd, but not with much enthusiasm!
Thought maybe if could get it up n' running in 3rd it might hold(?) enough to limp back home? Stopped and once again checked tranny fluid, show'd full.
Made it 1 mile on side highway, then bagan up a hill and the tranny would not move the truck forward. I was stranded. Of all things, putting it in reverse it would move me back down the hill! No signs of any tranny fluid leakage. Called tow truck (ouch$) and was hauled back 230 miles and left truck at transmission shop that worked on it.

Of note: when original E4OD tranny was rebuilt, it had to be taken down a couple times, for not doing properly what it should be doing. The valve body (if correctly named here) was found to have a crack in it and was replaced. Afterwards I drove it 1,200 miles to Wyoming n' back to Montana. The led light did come on: tranny shop found #23 code and I replace with a Motorcraft fuel level OEM part. All seemed ok, then the above happened on the 230 mile trip.
Truck still at tranny shop, waiting for them to get it in to work on and call me...

Last year did have a local shop rebuilt the rear end (3:55), as previous owner had dunked the rear end under water when boat launching, filling rear end with water/mud. So had rear end rebuilt from hub-cap-to-hub-cap. Had the shop install a Detroit Locker with their rebuilt. Not sure if the DL would affect the tone ring/pinion ring (what it's called)?

Anyway, appreciate everyone's patience with this lengthy Post. Truck has 121,000 original miles, but was put through some hard time by previous owner. The 7.3 runs smooth n' fine; new brakes; new rear end; front end gone through; body with no rust or dents; interior clean n' crisp; really like this 'ol gal and wanting her to run happy...
I'm but a 'shade-tree-mechanic', though capable in several areas, just not inside of engines/trannys/etc.
thanks again...
KenIDI93
1993 F250 extended cab, 7.3 non-turbo, E4OD, 4x4, 121,000 miles,

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issues you describe might be more serious than transmission controls or sensors. How many miles since the transmission was rebuilt? Is there a guarantee from that shop?

KenIDI93

Reaction score
Greenie, Thanks for the Reply.
I know it's a long Post and hard to try and figure it out, but I do appreciate folks reading the Post.

Transmission rebuilt in June 2023. Maybe, 3,000 miles on it? It has a 24 month or 24,000 mile warranty.
It's at their shop now, awaiting them to check it out. When it was rebuilt (believe it to be the original tranny and not rebuilt before) they had it out/in of the truck 2-3 times, in June 2023. They didin't like what it was doing. The last time they took it down they found the valve body (if I've the correct term) had a crack in it, so they replaced the valve body. The mechanic said in 30-some years he'd not seen a cracked valve body!
Yes, my thought exactly, it's probably more than controls or sensors.
It's in the hands of the shop now, really not much else I'm able to do for now.
I'll Post what fidnings are provided to me when I hear something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86