DT466 realities...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The IDI 7.3 & 6.9 are SAE2, the adapter plate removed will bolt to any SAE2 bellhousing and any IDI without it will bolt to any SAE2 transmission.

I would have to see it to believe it. I tried it when I wanted to put a ZF5 behind and Isuzu 4BT. Its close, but not quite right.

Here is a guy trying to build adapters for that application:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...using-for-the-4BD-engines&p=182605#post182605

You can see in the pics that only one bolt lines up.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no easy way to bolt a ZF5 to a DT360 or DT466. FWIW, everything that bolts to the front or back of a DT466 will also bolt onto a DT360 (bellhousing adapter, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc.).

The IDI's and DT's all were available bolted to a SAE 2 trans, and used adapters between the back of the block and the trans to do so. And the bolt pattern on the back of an IDI is nowhere close to the bolt pattern on the back of a DT block. The DT bolt pattern is somewhat close to that of a Cummins, but not close enough for anything to work.

Custom adapter plate and custom flywheel or flexplate is the only way to do it.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see from the pics...
Did you get the motor shifted far enough forward that the coolant filter will clear the engine cross member?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, like here i have been reading conflicting information and i dont know who is right or wrong. it would almost be to good to be true, now i wonder if i could re-drill one like you can putting a gas ZF behind the diesel :D i need to get one and see or just try to go with the whole driveline like backwards bronco here.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be cautious on trying to overspeed the water pump. The warning on the 6.9/7.3 IDI thermostat tells us "you should never operate the engine with the thermostat removed. Water flow through the engine will accelerate and create cavitation voids which will lead to hot spots, potentially cracking the head". I'd suspect this true in all motors.

Excellent build, and fun watching you exercise the true initiative of "the shade tree mechanic".

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see from the pics...
Did you get the motor shifted far enough forward that the coolant filter will clear the engine cross member?

No. I removed the filter and the plate that holds it to the cooler. It should be easy to relocate it in the same area with a few new lines.

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I'd be cautious on trying to overspeed the water pump. The warning on the 6.9/7.3 IDI thermostat tells us "you should never operate the engine with the thermostat removed. Water flow through the engine will accelerate and create cavitation voids which will lead to hot spots, potentially cracking the head". I'd suspect this true in all motors.

Excellent build, and fun watching you exercise the true initiative of "the shade tree mechanic".

Thanks Mel.

I am worried about the velocities getting too high. Using the spreadsheet to see what different combinations of pulleys do to the speed is the best this shade tree mechanic can do. An engineer I work with has done some solidworks analysis of the mounts for me, but he flat out hates fluids and told me he struggled with that class. It would be tough to model it anyways without tearing the motor down and measuring everything the best you could.

Hopefully Evans answers my e-mail, as they seem to have done the research in this area. :sly

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, I'm so gelious of your progress. I'm obviously following this very closely as you are testing much of the stuff I've gone over in my head with my DT466 project. Really interested in the serp belt mods, and firewall mods. Can't wait to see more. I'm going to have to plan a trip out your way to see it in person. Love it man! Keep the updates coming.

Heath

Last edited:

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like here i have been reading conflicting information and i dont know who is right or wrong.

Refer to post #6 here...... http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?44820-bellhousing-adapters-sae-etc

There's a couple pictures of an IDI with the SAE adapter still on it.

A buddy just resently junked an IHC bus with a 6.9/4 speed in it. Since it was IHC and not Ford, it had an SAE adapter on it, meduim duty truck 4 speed and everything else good on it. I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the engine/transmission before it got junk. It was mine for the taking.

Dave

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Dude, what a cool build. You are providing great info as you progress with this, thanks and best of luck.
Thanks Goose! Means alot after seeing you overcome and get that new motor in and going right!

Dude, I'm so gelious of your progress. I'm obviously following this very closely as you are testing some much of the stuff I've gone over in my head with my DT466 project. Really interested in the serp belt mods, and firewall mods. Can't wait to see more. I'm going to have to plan a trip out your way to see it in person. Love it man! Keep the updates coming.

Heath

You are welcome here anytime! Maybe we could do an Intermountain rally!?

I just found out yesterday that this guy lives about 30 miles north of me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvl6061d0e8

Wife and I plan to hit a couple of the local pulling events and see if I can talk to him a bit. He seems to kick ass when he's not breaking drivetrain parts. LOL

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Nicely done, sir. ;Sweet

Any updates lately?

Nothing too big. I have been getting small parts of the project done little by little; work has been super busy, long hours. The last few weeks have been near or over 100F and humid; the next few look to be mid 90's so the plan is to kick things into overdrive in the next few weeks. I also have to get my Wife's Willys and Daughter's Commando ready for an upcoming trip. Spent yesterday installing an ARB (locker), new gears and u-joints in a Dana 44. Took 4 teardowns to get the gear pattern right, so it took longer than I thought it would. Gotta get the rear gears installed next...

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Any update man?

Heath

Put some time in it yesterday. Managed to get the clutch and linkage all fitted up; just need to get the line adapted from the stock clutch master cylinder. Also mounted my carrier fuel pump and the dual filter assembly that came stock on the DT to the frame rail (had to move it off the motor to make room for motor mounts).

Changed the oil and filters (went to the bigger filters) and put SAE40 in the Roadranger for break-in. Seem to have a small leak on one of the PTO covers I will need to fix.

I need one fitting for the line that feeds the injection pump and the fuel system is done. I hope to keep the momentum up and work on it after work each night this week now that the weather is perfect here. Not too hot, not too cold! I am getting antsy to drop the cab on and see how she fits!