DT466 realities...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Would you lose any functionality by cutting the firewall etc, to make room for the engine? Stuff like the heater, a/c and what not?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Would you lose any functionality by cutting the firewall etc, to make room for the engine? Stuff like the heater, a/c and what not?

We're about to find out...

In all seriousness, I may have to do some 'custom' work to keep the defrost and heater ducting going where it is supposed to. The quality of those customizations will determine how well this whole idea turns out.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Video of DTA466 start up.

Took a little video of the DT for you guys. The turbo really sings on this one!

:sly
You must be registered for see images attach

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Can't wait to see this underthe hood.
What kind of power would a "stock" dt466 put out.

They range from 170 to 300hp depending on the configuration. This one is a 210hp. The torque these make is the real reason to use one. My goal is 300Hp and 750 ft/lbs of torque. Should pull anything I ever hook up and still be dead reliable. My truck and trailer are 20K. These motors are designed to last 500K pulling 30K+ every day.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The plunge has been taken now... just ordered a kit to turn my RT-6610 into an RTO-6610 along with a new 1.75" input shaft, a 14" pull type clutch kit, release arm bushings and a new pilot bearing. Deadline for completion is June 1st...

Maybe we should move this over to conversions?

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plunge has been taken now... just ordered a kit to turn my RT-6610 into an RTO-6610 along with a new 1.75" input shaft, a 14" pull type clutch kit, release arm bushings and a new pilot bearing. Deadline for completion is June 1st...

Maybe we should move this over to conversions?

What kit is this. where are you guys getting all these otr parts?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Just picked up my re-surfaced flywheel and new 14" pull type clutch kit. Also grabbed new shift fork bushings, alignment tool, pilot bearing.

Yesterday my Kit to convert the RT-6610 into an RTO-6610 showed up along with the 1.75" shaft and pull collar for the transmission... SO

Its almost time to get this thing put in. ( If you can't tell I am pretty excited about it. )

>>>>Almost forgot; last week I scored a serpentine pulley/dampener set-up from a local wrecker that specializes in Medium Duty IH/Navistar stuff. Nice to find a yard not too far away<<<<

Have had an engineer at work look at my prefab designs for mounting the motor. He seems to think I am worrying too much about how the weight sits on the front cross-member, which I see as a good sign that I am doing it the right way.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
>>>>Almost forgot; last week I scored a serpentine pulley/dampener set-up from a local wrecker that specializes in Medium Duty IH/Navistar stuff. Nice to find a yard not too far away<<<<

If you find another set, let me know. I need those parts as well.

Also, please take some good photos of the engine mounts. I need to make some too. Man, I wish I had the time right now to start my DT466 swap. But, I've not had anytime to finish my 6.9 in the crew cab.

Heath

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent quite a few hours at the helm of an international 4700 with a Dt466. Even with 10K lbs in the box, it would but you back in the seat once the turbo spooled. And that's with a fleet truck tune. This is going to be no less than wild.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
If you find another set, let me know. I need those parts as well.

Also, please take some good photos of the engine mounts. I need to make some too. Man, I wish I had the time right now to start my DT466 swap. But, I've not had anytime to finish my 6.9 in the crew cab.

Heath

I will ask him next time I call. Or you can: Rocky Mountain Truck Parts- http://rockymountainmediumdutytruckparts.com/ As long as you are not in a big hurry I'd be happy to pick anything up and get it shipped if they don't want to do it. We go by there quite often.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I spent quite a few hours at the helm of an international 4700 with a Dt466. Even with 10K lbs in the box, it would but you back in the seat once the turbo spooled. And that's with a fleet truck tune. This is going to be no less than wild.

I can't wait... first its going in bone stock and getting the kinks worked out. Eventually it may get a P-pump and twins, but I will not go over 400HP. 1000 ft/lbs of torque is gonna be PLLLEEENNNTTTTYYYY! :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm so far behind on my 6.9 project for my crew cab, I'm not going to be needing them in a hurry, but I can't seem to find that stuff locally.

As far as power goes........ I've got greedy plans for mine.LOL I'm hoping to have the HP in the 1K range! I've got the fuel and the air, just got have the engine built and drivetrain built to handle it.

Heath

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Threads without pics are worthless!!

Some DT ****:

This is the CM5552 that came with my motor. Its a 5 speed, but I am mostly interested in using the dual disk "pull" type clutch mechanism on the 10 speed Roadranger; as luck would have it all the parts fit the 10 speed bellhousing.

This is the nose of the RT-6610. It has a 1.5" shaft and push type clutch. I'm guessing because it was in a gas (429) truck. The throw out bearing was permanently fused to the shaft- another reason to make the jump to a 1.75" shaft and "pull" type clutch.

Newly resurfaced flywheel- $30. I included the spoon to give an idea how big the parts are. They are bigger than the IDI stuff, but not by as much as you would think.

The new 14" dual disk set-up. Supposed to be good to 1000 ft/lbs.cookoo

This is what you get when you order an Eaton K-2019 overdrive kit for the RT-6610. Cool part is that I knew from popping the cover when I bought the trans that it needed the cluster gear and shift fork anyways, so it was a bonus to see them both replaced with the kit. I also got the K-1931 gasket set which seems reasonably priced at $22. The OD kit was $671... ouch. So I am going to be into the trans and clutch for about $1800 total.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.