7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the big issues i ran into was getting the clutch to work right was that the 90s pedal assembly in the 79 cab as rod for the master cylinder was to short. made a rod that was adjustable and hooked it up and looks like the clutch should work now

You must be registered for see images attach

got rained out today so did not get much done but weather permiting will get more done tomorrow

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking good man, napa sells the adjustable rods to i believe. I can get you the part number if you want....but you already made one sooo you prob dont want it.

The cold is coming my friend, Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be nice and sunny though high of 12

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your cold air set up from. On your clutch rod. If that plastic bushing is worn it will cause slop in your clutch pedal. You can get the bushing by itself from Ford. It's just something I've experienced in the past. They do wear out. Looks like it's coming together nicely.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking good man, napa sells the adjustable rods to i believe. I can get you the part number if you want....but you already made one sooo you prob dont want it.

The cold is coming my friend, Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be nice and sunny though high of 12

ya i have a few extra masters with rods kicking around and this was in the budget but thanks man

What's your cold air set up from. On your clutch rod. If that plastic bushing is worn it will cause slop in your clutch pedal. You can get the bushing by itself from Ford. It's just something I've experienced in the past. They do wear out. Looks like it's coming together nicely.

know all about the bushing as im a parts guy at ford.

the intake is a mix of parts like everthing i do. intake adapter is an Airaid part ment for a carb application then filter is a oil less AEM filter. ran that for a while but had it pointed to the front of the motor but now it hits the a/c pump so turned to the side but would not clear the injector lines. the t6061 alluminum tube and coupler is made by Vibrant and ment for fab parts for imports and ect

got some more done today but really does not seem like much but took all day.

made a shifter for the 205, and made a new tunnel for the trans shifters, need to get a can of bed liner to finish it. also need to bend the tcase shifter a bit as right now when in low range the trans hits when going into 2nd

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts guy at pg motors eh?....ill prob be in tomorrow or wed to pick up gaskets for my oil cooler.....for the second time:mad:

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya they hide me in the back under the stairs and i deal with the techs so dont really work on the front counter or phones much but im around there

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got lots done on the long weekend but nothing for pics as mainly wirring and little crap but getting real close to being able to drive it

when i put the pedal assembly from the 90 into the 79 i had to cut the steering coloum support so had to add some support back it.

turns out the zf is shorter then my c6 so my intermidate drive shaft was to short by 1.5 inches. made a new shaft with and built it the best i could with out a lath to get the run out down. i was able to get the tcase side real close but the other end was out a bit much so will see how it drives

and a short vid of it running #rockon

http://youtu.be/3G74PZqF-lk

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
know all about the bushing as im a parts guy at ford.
I guess I didn't need to tell you about Ford parts then. I like the intake. Using parts from different kits and thinking outside the box is necessary as they do not make an intake kit for a '79 with a 7.3L.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like things are coming along nicely, that truck is getting meaner by the day.:sly;Sweet

thanks man

Very cool project man! I can't wait to see it finished.:hail:love:

Heath

me too, hope to be driving it this weekend, will not even be near done but oh well

;Sweetnice work man.green with envy.:hail

thanks

I guess I didn't need to tell you about Ford parts then. I like the intake. Using parts from different kits and thinking outside the box is necessary as they do not make an intake kit for a '79 with a 7.3L.

ya i seem to have the problem when i go to the local parts store as they dont have a listing for a 79 with a dsl. but between myself and my buddy we seems to get it figured out as we are both parts guys and have been doing this custom crap for a while now

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting real close to driving it as i got some more done this weekend

added some more supports to the pedal assembly and steerting count, no pics as nothing fancy to look at

the last of my brake lines came in so finished plumbing them up with one small twist. cause the truck has 1992 Sterling rear diff the e cables did not match up and they were all rusted up so cut them all off. so my solution to this was to put a lock off valve in the rear hydro lines. now it my not be DOT legal but i dont care as it will do the job just fine

ran ss lines inside the cab and put bulk head fittings on the firewall and floor to hook it back in to the system

still have to finish bleeding the system as i had to get one new caliper and then the rain came so was not able to get all the air out

also got the trans tunnel coated and installed and shifter boots installed

had to switch out my injection pump to as i had my turbo pump still on the motor and its a little ******* fuel and still needs a new head unit as truck wont start when hot. got a used pump that had a rebuild done not to long ago and looks in really great shape. was able to a timming light and signal adapter from one of the guys at work so timmed the truck up sounds much better now

so all that left now before driving its is blead the brakes and do something for guages, have to get the done soon as have to go and get firewood in the next week or so

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got gaugues now, might have to get the angle adapters for them as they do face down a bit but will wait and see

had to redo my steering shaft from the coloum to box but was able to do that then take the truck for a drive tonight. runs good and drives nice. have a small issue with my charging system but will put a new regulator in tomorrow as i think that is the problem. other wise it should be almost good to go