7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking for some info on doing a swap from the 460 to 7.3idi in my 79 f250. i have the complete truck to steel parts from and have no problem with fabbing stuff to make it work. the only real question i have is motor mounts. is there a way to make the 90s 7.3 mounts work on the 79 frame or am i going to be making my own motor mounts. any help with this as i know its been done and have been searching but found no real answers or photos

thanks

f250ap

Reaction score
This has always been a swap iv wanted to do, I think that u have to custom fab new motor mounts or move the ones that are in it a little

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to my name and go to my post its got the full install details, 2 wheel drive F150 got it all done just finishing up the details not too hard of a project.

Just make sure you have a full donor vehicle you'll need the fuel tank too.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok have been working on this for a bit now, will just copy form an other forum to speed things up

went and pulled more crap off the haywagon for donation to the hauler

You must be registered for see images attach

nothing really left fo the old girl but it will live agian one day #popcorn

cleaned up the motor, trans and doulbler

then this happened

and there are truck parts all over the place in the shop and back yard right now

the 4wd 73-79 ford truck has this big stupid cross member that goes aross the frame at an angle and makes life hard. i want to do a cross over steering down the road but with the cross member there you need 6 inches of lift for it to clear. so i plan on cutting it out and then building my own that will be up higher

cleaned the frame, spray bombed the fire wall and built a temp crossmember to help keep the frame from moving once i cut the big one out

and ran into a small issue that i will have to deal with soon, the dsl rad is quite a bit bigger

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a few spair minutes after work so hacked the crossmember out and plated the end in

have been busy working on this things non stop and have had few small issues but all due to me being an idiot. all that has been taken care of and truck is finally going back together now

got my motor mounts built, all i have to say is measure everthing 10 times when doing a job like this as it sucks doing it just to cut it all back out

and just so i could be like the cool kids that race KOH i did some go fast gussets

motor in and no more hoist holding it there

oil pan on the motor is a big ***** and hangs down low so will need to move my bump stops so i dont hit the oil filter. wont have to move them much as the exh on the 460 hanged about as low as the oil filter does now

trans and doubler are in and was able to rework the mounts from the haywagon to work. still need to add one more mount on the pass side but need to get the exh in first

was able to tuck it up nice and high in the frame

started to work on getting the ps pump in as with the stock mounts it and the ps box were trying to share the same space. so pulled the brackets off for the ac pump and moved the pump up a little higher. after thinking about it some more i really want to keep the ac pump as im running it for onboard air.

here is the set up i had when i was not going to run the ac pump

have since re worked it so that i can run the ac pump for OBA still and get the ps pump in there. will have pics tomorrow night of the set up i have made

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember the haywagon from when I was on pirate4x4 every day a few years back digging up info for my bumpside build. That thing was a beast and very frequently thrashed! This build should be pretty interesting. Subscribed :D

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can snap some pics of mine if you like, I didn't do it so I couldn't tell you how its done but I do know they did it without removing that cross member.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow have not update this in a while so will do some copy and paste for you guys to get up to date

even when not wanting to work on it i puttered away as i need to get it done

got the ps pump and ac pump mounted up, worked out but not sure if i really like it but will run it for now and if i have issues then i will redo it

ps pump adjuster

after that started to think about how to get a hydro clutch set up to work in a truck that never had that option. made my own pedal assembly with a mix of the set up from the 90s truck and the 79. when doing all this i also worked the fire wall to fit the 90s booster and master and plated the firewall for the clutch master too

bad pic but you can see the alluminum mount from the 90s truck

and started running my brake lines today, got Russell ss llines to go from the frame to caliper that are 3inches longer then stock

also got my new front crossmember built today, happy with how it came out as i did not measure anything and its been a while since ive bent any tube

then stripped everthing off the front inner fenders and pressure washed it and started to measure for the rad

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran all new brake lines front to back and started to run fuel lines, crossmember is done and lines run on it

made a mount to hold the throttle cable so it would work with the 79 pedal, not happy with my cable stops so will find some better ones soon

next up was making the 90s dsl rad fit in to the 79 clip. the rad is almost 4inches wider and like 8inches taller so was going to be a tight fit. first cut the rad support out and welding in some new steel for the rad to bolt too. also reinforced the one edge with some round stock

You must be registered for see images

now the next big problem is with the rad being so big and the 79s frame being so narrow i had to notch the frame so the rad could sit inside the frame rails

welded a plate on the outside by the spring hanger to add some strenght back in and boxed the frame in as well

to add some more i welded a tube inbetween the frame on the plate i added above the spring hanger

bolted the front clip back on the cab and put the rad back in

is a very tight fit between the rad and the steering box but fits

to make the rad fit into the clip i had to cut the body mount off ass they bolted down to the top of the frame. i needed to make new mounts on the out side fo the frame to hold the clip now

pulled the clip back off so i could weld up the new mounts

and mounts on the clip

thats if for right now, have to pick up some new mounts then can put the front clip back on for the last time

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

here you can see how far down the rad sits

really wanted to take the body lift out but am not able to do so because of the rad being so big. even with how much i cut out of the frame its still a close fit

fixed a few other small problems like the throttle cable. also cleaned up the wirring harrness for the motor and started to bolt stuff back on the inner fenders. wont get much done for a week or two as i have a wedding to got to next weekend but after that have to go hard and get this thing running

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finnaly back at it as i have to get this thing going before winter gets here

have most of the stock 79 wiring cleaned up and was even able to hook some cables up today and truck turned over

will still be a while before it fires but is getting there now

went and made a new steering shaft from the coloum to the box as the stock one was two short and if i pulled the steering coloum out a bit it would pull out of the box.

so i cut the ends off the 79 shaft and welded in the cut up shaft out of the 90 and used the rag joint. not sure how the rag joint will work but can change that later on if i need to

You must be registered for see images

got my big flex a lite fan in but had to notch the bottom corner a bit to clear the steering box

installed a p/s cooler, is a little over kill right now but later on i want to do assist so will be good for then

got a used 90s fuel tank from a friend and got it cleaned up a bit, has a small leak i need to patch but did a test fit and both the tank and skid plate will work just fine

picked up an autometer sending unit for my gauge and started to install it. after looking at it and the sending unit from the haywagon i was able to mount the autometer one on the dsl pick up. down side to this is i had already drilled the big hole in the tank
so i still had to put the top part of the autometer sender in just to fill the hole

and because im finnaly done working on the front of the truck with the p/s cooler installed i put the grille back on

and that gets this upto date as of sept 9th

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Just thinking about it from the sidelines It seems that if a 460 fit the IDI should fit. Didn't think about the crossmember though. I have seen a 3208 Cat V8 in one of these, 636 cu in of Yellow power baby! Was always going to do one but then the Powerstroke came along and made it pointless....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.