7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, you're making me want to go buy a dent side,;Sweet its been a number of years since I've had one and am missing them. Your doing it on a budget only encourages me.:backoff Very nice welding btw.

thanks man and i always wanted a dent so i fell in love with this truck when i went and looked at it. but as soon as i got it home i relized that i should have left it in the field i found it in, oh well

thanks on the welds as im still learning as have only been welding for a few years now

Awsome rig, love the build.. Wish i had the skill and tools to do that kinda fab work wheneva i wanted, guess maybe one day..

thanks man

thats one awesome truck man! i always wanted to do this swap... how hard was it? i can do alot of the fabbing
i can do all the body work really easily, what was the hardest part of the job?

thanks man and the swap would be easy if i had a better budget. all the big issues i have run into was because i was trying to use what i have and not buy it unless i have to. the main thing that has been fighting me more then anything is the p/s box as its been in the way for everthing. if i did it again then i would swap boxes to make life easy

If I were to ever own a '79 it would likely get an IDI swap. Nice job.

thanks

looks really great! What do you use to cut the steel plate?

thanks man. I use a makita 5inch grinder, nothing fancy on this build

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
small up date from today

finished up my wiring today for the motor and ect, truck turns over and the glow plugs work and pump gets power. had to use a 87 87 relay inbetween the 79 wirring and thinned out idi harness

You must be registered for see images attach

got the fuel tank finished up, had to put a patch as found a small leak then rock guarded the bottom. also cleaned up the 90s fuel tank skid plates

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin rig, once i saw that road improvement sign I took a look at your location, do you live intown?....I assume your on giscome road? lol

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an AMAZING build! I own a number of dentsides and though I have always talked about it, even collecting parts for it, have never done a repower. My current project is a 79 Bronco that I am just working on keeping running with the rotten 351M in it. I've got everything but a tranny to run in it. Going through your thread makes me feel lazy. I haven't taken a project on of that scope since I redid my 73 F100 back in '95. You do amazing work, I am just to the point of selling the Bronco tho. But you did a lot of things like I would want, like using bed liner all around. How is it for heat and sound control?

Thanks for the thread! It reminded me that creativity can pick up a lot of slack when a low budget is concerned.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin rig, once i saw that road improvement sign I took a look at your location, do you live intown?....I assume your on giscome road? lol

no giscome and the signs are legit as the old man is the sign guy for the hwys

This is an AMAZING build! I own a number of dentsides and though I have always talked about it, even collecting parts for it, have never done a repower. My current project is a 79 Bronco that I am just working on keeping running with the rotten 351M in it. I've got everything but a tranny to run in it. Going through your thread makes me feel lazy. I haven't taken a project on of that scope since I redid my 73 F100 back in '95. You do amazing work, I am just to the point of selling the Bronco tho. But you did a lot of things like I would want, like using bed liner all around. How is it for heat and sound control?

Thanks for the thread! It reminded me that creativity can pick up a lot of slack when a low budget is concerned.

thanks man and dont feel lazy as i started the swap in early summer and have been lacking the drive to work on it. not to sure on the beadliner for heat as i only drove the truck a few times after doing it then started the swap but did seem to be a bit quiter in the cab

oh and this will be the second repower swap on this truck since i have had it. truck came with a blown 351m then i did a nice 460 c6 on propane but was not happy with it for towing

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You for starting this thread and all the detailed pictures, You are a skilled welder/fabricator. Cutting all that steel with just a grinder takes a lot a patience.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya'll missed out on his other build....phsyco sic fab.....loved it...hope to get up that way one day do some wheeling..meet a few fellow members...;)

I've followed this build on BC4x4....funny, I post some stuff here...some there...but rarely both with same stuff...LOL

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You for starting this thread and all the detailed pictures, You are a skilled welder/fabricator. Cutting all that steel with just a grinder takes a lot a patience.

thanks and when i was looking into this swap there really was not a lot of info on it other then people say ya i did it. i hope that this may help someone that might be thinking about doing it. there are some things i would do diff but my budget was a factor on how thing have been done. not really a skilled welder or fab man just have the time to make it how i want with what i have

Ya'll missed out on his other build....phsyco sic fab.....loved it...hope to get up that way one day do some wheeling..meet a few fellow members...;)

I've followed this build on BC4x4....funny, I post some stuff here...some there...but rarely both with same stuff...LOL

seems like you are the only one that reads the one on bc4x4 and i have lost interest over there. i hope i get to get out wheeling again one day but for now its just not going to happen as i have sold almost everthing from the old truck. will see what next year brings after this winter and might start something new

and if anyone wants to waste some time this is the link to my old truck that the motor and trans came out of
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852507&highlight=haywagon

oo cool, do you drive that beast in winter?

drove it last winter as it was my only set of wheels at the time. do have a dd right now but i have to get the truck drivable before winter as i has to be out of the folks back yard by then. do plan on driving it some this winter but it will still be working on it and hope to have the major stuff done for spring so i just have body work next year

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O ice, my trucks been sitting out of commission for the two weeks in front of the garage my sad doesn't like it haha

pm me if you wanna meetup sometime......do you snowmobile?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I wanted to ask You a question but I can't send You PM's (Your may be turned off), maybe I didn't get to where You explain it in Your thread, where did You get that nice large shifter boot I would like one for mine and I can't seem to find them larger than 9". Also did You get those electric fans or did You make them to fit the IDI radiator?

Thanks, btw that haywagon build looks very well done.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i been following it on Pirate also. great build. sucks you had to tear down the other though... was sorta my inspiration. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online