7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O ice, my trucks been sitting out of commission for the two weeks in front of the garage my sad doesn't like it haha

pm me if you wanna meetup sometime......do you snowmobile?

the folks are fine with the truck being there but come winter time needs to be gone so the driveway can be plowed so i have to have it running and driveing by then. no sledding for me as i hide in the winter

I wanted to ask You a question but I can't send You PM's (Your may be turned off), maybe I didn't get to where You explain it in Your thread, where did You get that nice large shifter boot I would like one for mine and I can't seem to find them larger than 9". Also did You get those electric fans or did You make them to fit the IDI radiator?

Thanks, btw that haywagon build looks very well done.

the shifter boot is ment for an mid to late 90s Autocar, i used to work at a truck shop as a parts flunky. was not cheap but works better then anything else i have tried. the fans are flex a lite fans are #285 are are universal. was close fit on the rad just had to drill some new holes for the mounts, does hell of a job cooling the motor as it pulls 5500cfm

Last edited:

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i been following it on Pirate also. great build. sucks you had to tear down the other though... was sorta my inspiration. lol

well i was at the point were i had not used in in almost a year and was sick of working on it. then i had a buddy call me up and ask if i wanted to build some axles like mine for him so i said f it and sold everthing to him and then sold the rest off. kinda regret it now but had bills to pay so was the smart thing to do i guess :dunno

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha that must be hard to do! Well, if I ever see you in town I'll be sure to flag you down haha

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha that must be hard to do! Well, if I ever see you in town I'll be sure to flag you down haha

well i was a ***** for the dollar bills at the time so was easy to do but after it sucked to relize what i did. sold the cab the other day so really have nothing left of it now but oh well. truck should be on the road soon as spent some time this weekend and switche the tcases around and made a new cross member. fuel tank is in and lines are run and now just working on the exh this week.

should have pics up tonight

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update from this weekend

got the fuel tank installed

You must be registered for see images attach

now before i ran the fuel lines down the frame i took the doubler out as i did not want to run my fuel lines around the frame mounts just to have and re do it. now when putting the single 205 back in i ran into some issues, first up was the tcase would not bolt up because of the one shifter rail. on the 205 the one rail comes out the front of the case were the trans and tcase mount, on the c6 the tail housing is notched out for it. on the zf it is not as the bw1356 that came stock has the shifter on the side of the case. so i had to trim the tail housing on the zf just to get the tcase to bolt up. once i did get it almost bolted up the second shift rail and front out put yoke were hitting the crossmember and would not let me get the tcase flush with the trans. after saying lots of bad words i cut the crossmember up for th 3rd time on this project and re worked it again

old one went up to clear the drive shaft and had the doubler mount off the back

new one goes down to clear the shaft and no longer has the rear mount as not needed anymore

and i was not able to sleeve the tube together and had to but weld the tube so added some gussets

with the tcase and new trans crossmember and 205 side mount done i ran my fuel lines

still have to do my filler neck for the tank but that is next weekends project as i have to get up the courage to get my getto fab on for that

started to plan out my exh, got my 4inch muffler out and my 45deg bend with tip on it and did a mock up. what say all you, is it too dsl rice?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score

Did I miss something? I did the math, and it does not add up to me...:dunno

SWS

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the side dump is the plan as its kinda my thing as every truck i have had has had side dump and i even did it on the exploder

sorry for the crappy pics as only had my phone tonight

spend 45mins or so tonight getting things ready for the exhaust. with the 79s frame being narrower in the front the 90s pipe on the pass side was hitting the frame. i tried to cut and rework it but after a hour of head scratching i said f that and will be doing a short peice of flex tube for now as will have to redo the front half of the exhaust when i ever get around to doing my turbo set up

so to start i cut the exh nice and short of the head but its a weird size so sleaved a chunk of 2 1/2 over it and welded that on

then did the same on the Y pipe

next up was welding the 2foot long chuck of 4inch that i got for free on the muffler

and then welded my 3inch to 4inch reducer on the muffler as will run a 2foot or so peice of that between the Y pipe and muffler

should have time on saturday after work to finish up the exh

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finished up the exh, happy with how it turned out

cut down some hangers and welded them to the truck then clamped to the exh so can be taken off if needed

changed the front output yoke and did some new seals on the 205 so i can run my CV front shaft

got my oil filter relocation done, like it now as there is much more room between it and the front diff. should be able to jump the speed bumps at the mall to impress the girls with out smashing anthing

had to get my ghetto fab on when it came to the fuel filler as some one before me got bondo happy and filled in the rear filler door on the box side. so i cut a hole inside the box an butcherd the filler neck to fit there. will be a temp thing till i deck the truck

and while doing some ghetto work i had to use sone of those flex rad hoses for the upper as the stock ones were like an inch to short to work

then went down the street and beat up a kid and stole this off his civic, needed it so that the air filter would clear the injector lines

put my rad overflow back in and dumped some new coolant in