7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking about it from the sidelines It seems that if a 460 fit the IDI should fit. Didn't think about the crossmember though. I have seen a 3208 Cat V8 in one of these, 636 cu in of Yellow power baby! Was always going to do one but then the Powerstroke came along and made it pointless....

the motor would have fit just fine with the stock cross member. as i want to do a cross oversteering later on and the crossmember makes that hard to do with out 6inhces or more of lift and i only have like 2inchs and was easy to cut it out while the clip and motor were not there

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks man

and because everyone likes pics i will copy and past some of my old build of this truck before i started the idi swap

got started on my front bumper. going with a baja chase truck look on this truck so the front bumper is going to be nice and simple

first issue is that the front fenders have a little extra that i had to trim

You must be registered for see images attach

and got the main part of the bumper and skid plate done today

i will plate in the top of the bumper to help clean up the look a bit

built it a bit wider then the truck to protect the fenders but i dont really like the look of it so might change that up. will hold off for now and finish the rest of the bumper first and then see how it looks

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have been driving this thing for a bit now and some bugs are coming out the word works now. has a front brake pulsation and death wobble so had to do something about that as it just sucks driving. so pulled the front 60 apart and took the rotors to work to get them turned but they were to far gone so had to get new rotors. also tossed in a new set of pads as the old one were low too. pulled the upper king pins apart and swapped the 6 mounth old parts from the haywagon in the hauler. also put in some used take off shocks that i got from work too. had to make some custome lower mounts as the stock ones are stem/stem and the 2005 super duty shocks are stem/loop.

also added some beef to the front diff cover. did not want to spend the money on an aftermarket one so make my own skid for the stock one.

took the truck for a rip around the block and the brakes no longer suck and no more pulsation or death wobble.

my spare rim showed up after 2 1/2 mounths on back order. got another 315/70r17 mounted so that i have a full size spare but needed to build a mount for it so its not just rolling around the box and i have a way to lock it up

spare full size tire and rim to match the truck

and here is my mount a built. 1/2 inch base plate with two bolts to hold it down and then a tube with a 1 1/4 bolt welded in the tube. the plate has two bolts welded to the plate that fit into the stud holes then i have a large nut with round stock for a handle. then a peice of chain so that i can lock it up

in the truck

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loved your last build but I already know I will love this one more :D . When I swapped a 7.3 into my '75 I had to make motor mounts. The only thing I took from the diesel was the engine and trans. It was actually a very easy swap. It fit perfect.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
started to work on the inside of the cab as i want to make it nice to ride in. when i got the truck i pulled the carpet back and found out that there was no real floor boards on the drives side. also found a small hole on the pass side so did not think much of it, when i started to pull the carpet out as its rotten i found even more cancer. turns out my small hole was a real big hole that some one had rivited some tin over #help so i had to fix that

still have lots more repair to do but that will have to be at a later date

also had a major death wobble because the one tie rod was shot. looked into getting a new one and the best deal i could find in town was over $200. even online the best i could find was $150 so i ordered some tube inserts and made my own

used 1ton chevy tie rods and some .25 wall DOM

mounted my my shovel and jack all in the box

shovel mount is simple, just a bolt welded to a plate that goes through the shovel and then a pico clamp for the handle

and jack all mounted on the other side with some scrap tube

and the two trucks together

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update time as plans for this truck have changed around a bit so fired it up and pulled it in the shop. first thing i had to do was pull the drivers seat out and the last of the carpet. and the hole in the floor board was much bigger then i suspected

so cut the floor back till i had good steel to work with

so after doing a little cutting, bending and some welding i ended up with this

now while i was doing all this the girl friend came over and i put her to work as she was sitting in the truck. with her in the truck i was not able to get in ther to tack the floor together so i made her do it. now she has never welded before but did a good job and liked it so much that we did a little project togther were she made some scrapt steel art on her own

after the art project we pulled the rest of the interior out of the truck and patched a few other small hole and cleaned it out to get ready for paint

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the cab mount bushings are shot in the truck so get some new energy bushings the other day so started getting ready to put them in. the rear cab mounts that are on the frame were rotted out and some one before me ghetto fixed them with some plate bubble gum welded on and the bushings cut so they do not go threw the mount. so first thing i had to do to fix this was get the mounts off the frame.

and here are the ghetto mounts, and to make things better the did not use the same thickness plate on the two of them

so cut the crap fix off and cleaned the mounts up

and new tops welded up

with the new tops i bolted the mounts back on the frame and put the bushings in and dropped the cab back down. lined the mounts up and then put some grease on the end of the bolts and dropped them in so they would mark where i had to drill. pulled the mounts back off the frame and this is what i had

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cab mounts are done

then pulled the inside of the cab apart and layed some bed liner down everywere

pulled the dash out and it had a hole in it from someone before me so filled it in with some steel

and dyed all the trim stuff black

and all back together and with the new black finish

and did the dash a dark grey, and added a power point plug in and a aux plug for the deck

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loved your last build but I already know I will love this one more :D . When I swapped a 7.3 into my '75 I had to make motor mounts. The only thing I took from the diesel was the engine and trans. It was actually a very easy swap. It fit perfect.

thanks man im trying to use as much from the 90s truck and make the rest as i doing this on a major budget

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Damn, you're making me want to go buy a dent side,;Sweet its been a number of years since I've had one and am missing them. Your doing it on a budget only encourages me.:backoff Very nice welding btw.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome rig, love the build.. Wish i had the skill and tools to do that kinda fab work wheneva i wanted, guess maybe one day..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7