300 Hp!

wmoguy

Reaction score
Well I'm still looking for somebody with some coin to try a Super Moose and Super Moose Misters. A damn expensive proposition I'm afraid, and one of the reasons why a Cummins swap makes more sense. It IS about the same money. But.... the person that does it... they will become famous, and not be "just another Cummins convert, with no guts, no glory, and no IDI". The Super Moose and Super Moose Misters are sized to support the stock injection lines. If you want more fuel than what the combo will deliver, then the factory lines are now your hold up. You would need bigger pipe.

Make me a deal as the test guinea pig and I'll be your huckleberry :thumbsup:

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the whole reason I started this thread is to see what it would take, besides alot of money. Seeing as the aftermarket seems to have forgotten about these truck theirs not alot of information out their (easily accessable anyway)

I would love to build this truck up and see what it is made of, but I'll probably run into the same roadblock that everyone else has. $$$$$$

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i would say is buy a junk yard motor and build it ground up this way the truck is stilll drivable and when u got the motor were u want it then swap in the built motor and id get a 7.3 and sleave it to a 6.9 soo you can run alot more boost

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did I miss something? ... ...I'm really curious about that. Or would it be the "hypermax has a $17,000 kit you can buy" kind of discussion. Which takes us back to insanity again, where nothing happens. :dunno

OK, Mel.... I believe you missed my point. Late_99 asked about putting a different type of injection pump on an IDI, and I believed that he asked about an 8 cylinder P-Pump style pump. I was simply showing and example of putting a pump on an engine that was not designed for that engine. I remembered the hypermax conversion for the 7.3 PSD and showed it as an example, and the kind of $$$$ they were asking for it. I was not telling him is was not possible, and not to try. I was showing an example of a 8 cyl P style pump is out there. I say more power to him to try to make big numbers with an IDI. Wither with Super Moose stuff, a DB2/DB4 hybrid, some type of inline pump, or 55 gallon barrel and a garden hose shoved down the intake (I know that will not work) but by all means try. We have the one member that is trying, the one with the exotic head gaskets that Hypermax used on their high power IDI back in the day.... so do not think I am saying go by a kit and do it. Remember Trav and I are like brothers, and I was there with all the trials and tribulations with E-1 and his experimentation, and I would say it is safe to say, at that point in time, he had probally the most powerful IDI on the street. But we all know the cost of his experiments. He killed 3 IDI's.... but he made some headway. So no, I am not saying to try, yes try to do things that have not been done. I think even dyoung is making headway.... but he knows the risks, and admits that he knows the risks. Yet he gets beat on for abusing his truck. Well if that is the case, then Trav was abusing these trucks long before dyoung ever thought about it. Sorry, but I understand people wanting to get more power from these trucks. But, it costs money. We all have responsibilities, and they come first. I do myself, and I could have a 500hp fire breathing dragon, but when I break it at that power, then my family is stranded, and I am not willing to do that, or take food off the table to fix the truck. So I will keep my truck stock, running well, doing everything I ask it to do, and not be the fastest vehicle on the road. Just my opinion.......

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
snicklas
Very well said. Some people mod the hell out of their daily driver and dont have a back up. Then when it brakes, they are screwed. Responsibilitys come first, toys come second

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any info on different MI pumps by any manufacturer, inline or rotory, bosch, stanadyne, ambach, any 8 cylinder pumps. I think a p pump would be a bit much, but maybe an A pump would be more suited. I think a different style of mount wouldn't be too big of a problem because it only a small round top that the pump bolts to, and it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to make a new cover. (I know it wont be cheap)

I know their are many different 8 cyl pumps out there but its almost impossible to find anything on the subject.

I think I may need to visit a pump shop to find any hard info.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Since everyone is talking pumps, would the pump off a 3208 Cat fit? I haven't had a chance to measure it, but it should provide enough fuel, and does have the same firing order.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at one of those just today! What is the displacement on a 3208? I know it's sleeve metering and not port and helix, so I dont know if it has variable timing. The firing order shouldn't matter since you have to make new lines anyway and then you just make them go to the right cylinders. With that pump you would have to make a special mount for it (obviously wont just bolt up)

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was trying to find info on it but cant
i think a cat pump would do pretty good but
the db4 has all the gm nuts playing with it and that could be up for some better mods and support
while a cat pump is mostly heavy truck stuff and has almost no mods and little forum support

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was trying to find info on it but cant
i think a cat pump would do pretty good but
the db4 has all the gm nuts playing with it and that could be up for some better mods and support
while a cat pump is mostly heavy truck stuff and has almost no mods and little forum support

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
3208=636 cubic inches, they ranged from about the same power as an IDI to a little over 300.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3208=636 cubic inches, they ranged from about the same power as an IDI to a little over 300.

A little over 300 hp 'eh :sly

I'm not sure if they make a DB4 that spins the right way. GM IDI pump's spin the other way right?

I'm sure there's a way to get info on CAT pumps, maybe not a forum, but I'm sure someone has turned them up before. :dunno

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make me a deal as the test guinea pig and I'll be your huckleberry :thumbsup:

Everybody I deal with gets a great deal. My cost. I don't make any money on any of the stuff I sell. What extra I do charge just covers my expenses. I guess you could say I'm a non-profilt organization. LOL That's why I don't advertise. Doesn't make a hill of beans to me if I sell them or not.

Scott, I wasn't picking on you or your PSD pump example. Your comment only reminded me of the fact that when a solution does exist, nobody has the money to spend on it.

You all must be thinking junk yard pumps, because to buy a pump outright, your talking more money then you have to spend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online