300 Hp!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just cause you have the capability to stuff more fuel in them doesn't mean you're going to be using it. That's up to your right foot. A real powerful engine can be even more efficient than a lesser engine if it's not asked to produce that HP. When do you need 300+ HP? Only when you're towing the biggest loads(maybe) or trying to impress people on the dyno or at the track(definitely!) but not in DD mode. Cummins engines can move a lot more fuel and make a lot more power than a stock IDI yet they tend to still get better fuel economy. Power capability does not relate to fuel efficiency. Actually USING the power to do work does.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Late_99,

You recommended to swap out to a different pump. I have not seen it on an IDI but I have seen it on a 7.3 PSD. Hypermax makes this kit to replace the HEUI system on a 7.3 PSD with an 8 cylinder P Style pump and all the necessary parts to install it. All this for only $17,000!!!!!!! So it could be done..... all it will take is money.........

By this point.... for the $17k....... I would take that $$$$ go by a 6.0 and have 325 crank hp with the turn of the ignition switch...... and I can attest...... the 325hp/~600tq is very nice!!!!!! Get on the interstate with the 5000lb TT, set the cruise at 75, with the AC on and just drive. Don't have to obsess over the gauges, and I am not getting run over or pushed, and getting ~15mpg............

Last edited:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Diesel is under $3.50 here and it's rapidly dropping. ;Really
You're a *******....I mean that in the most envious way. -cuss

Aw man...... Wheres the fun in that :rotflmao

Exactly, why push these engines to their limit and make it have 300 hp? To say you did and because you can..... There are thousands of 6.0 or 12v powered trucks out there...but who can actually say they have an H.O. 7.3 IDI????

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
For me its the old "more horsepower" = "less longevity". I like the IDIs for what they are; simple basic brutes that are easy to maintain and will run longer than I will. Really not looking for edge of my seat tire ripping power any more. Had a D-max that I was paranoid to push for fear of what it would cost to have it fixed. Sold it the day the warranty expired; plus I was pissed about the Gubment bailouts making me somewhat ashamed to drive a GM. It actually felt good to watch it drive away...

I would prefer finding ways to make the IDI more efficient- if the side affect of that is more power for towing then great.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did I miss something? This happens EVERY time this discussion comes up. The same ideas go out... every body nods... then the wallets stay closed, and everybody shuts up until the next time it's mentioned. :dunno Isn't it insane to have the same conversation over and over again with the end result being the same thing. Nothing. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of insanity. And while you MIGHT be considered insane to spend 3 or 4 grand on an IDI, by definition you would NOT be, because you did something and had a different outcome. Now lets just say for a moment that I built a motor with a super moose pump and super moose misters and it put out 300 RWHP. Let's assume that actually exists. Would these conversations continue, or would they change in anyway? I'm really curious about that. Or would it be the "hypermax has a $17,000 kit you can buy" kind of discussion. Which takes us back to insanity again, where nothing happens. :dunno

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Now lets just say for a moment that I built a motor with a super moose pump and super moose misters and it put out 300 RWHP. Let's assume that actually exists. Would these conversations continue, or would they change in anyway? I'm really curious about that. :dunno

It would change to 400HP! :rotflmao

Guys like to talk about their dreams and ambitions, even if they know they will probably not be marrying the head cheerleader/homecoming queen/valedictorian perfect girl - it sure is fun to think about what it might be like...:dunno

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Did I miss something? This happens EVERY time this discussion comes up. The same ideas go out... every body nods... then the wallets stay closed, and everybody shuts up until the next time it's mentioned. :dunno Isn't it insane to have the same conversation over and over again with the end result being the same thing. Nothing. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of insanity. And while you MIGHT be considered insane to spend 3 or 4 grand on an IDI, by definition you would NOT be, because you did something and had a different outcome. Now lets just say for a moment that I built a motor with a super moose pump and super moose misters and it put out 300 RWHP. Let's assume that actually exists. Would these conversations continue, or would they change in anyway? I'm really curious about that. Or would it be the "hypermax has a $17,000 kit you can buy" kind of discussion. Which takes us back to insanity again, where nothing happens. :dunno

I agree, this topic has been discussed many times (here and fte) and nobody has ever done it. Many say they will build one over 300hp though and you never hear back from them. Whats so hard about if you want a stupidly powerful truck that blows black smoke, hurts your wallet, and has 5mpg, buy a powerstroke.;Really

Guy is telling me he can boost his IDI to 40-50psi and the limit on power with the IDI's is the sky. I said 'no no, do it if you think it can be done'. He said, 'well it can be done, I just don't want to do it.'cookoo

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric has built a very nice IDI. :hail:love: But, again, the fuel he needs is still up in the air. The rod work, C-ringing the cylinder decks, special hypermax headgaskets, sleeving 7.3 down to 6.9, studs, custom pistons, 75mm S400 turbo, and so on.... But, the fueling is not solved yet.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he did contact me if I recal, and I gave him the information. :dunno

I'm not knocking the benefits of dreaming. I'm just bummed that we never seem to get past the dream into practicality. Everybody wants a hero, and it would be nice for somebody to be that guy. Some have tried, or at least made steps in that direction. Diesel4me2 decompressed his engine, but hasn't been able to move foreward either. Flatlander has the most impressive record for trying, but burned out on it. Some have talked really big, only to disappear. I guess that's what happens when a dream dies, crushed by financial and time realities.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
We just need to convert a 6.7 owner with lots of $$$ that would have otherwise been blown on electronics and get him to build an awesome IDI.

I don't even have the money to buy an IDI let alone mod one :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7