ZF5 INFO....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, manual tranny just wasn't an option on the F150 with a 5.8
The heavier duty trucks (250/350) had em, i know mine does.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The Warden]However, at low engine speeds, you'll get a noise (commonly known as gear rollover) from the tranny with an SMFW that is generally not present on a DMFW.
With my SMF what I've found is I get the "roll over" sound in low rpm up to about 1100 taking off....in whatever gear I take off in, 1st or 2nd. Under a load it tends to give more shudder till clutch can get fully engaged.
Reverse is worse yet, especially up hill, or loaded, or more worstest of all, loaded & uphill. I still think Ford in their wisdom geared reverse about 2-3-4 times too hi....just my opinion. But I've never seen anywhere yet I had to get to very fast in reverse!!!
I had some of all these same problems with my original DMF, but more with the SMF I installed.
However, I must say, my SMF been in there round a year & it seems to be getting somewhat better about all shuddering etc...explain that????

Another thing, I was already running a heavier oil in my hi miler ZF, but I went to some really heavy oil plus over filled it....over 2 gal.
Have to shift slower in cold weather till it's warmed up.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had a good look at the parts truck today, loads of good stuff to sell off that puppy;Sweet ....I picked up the trailer on my way home today - I'm getting the $200 F150 4x4 at lunch tommorow. The trans code on the door is "M".

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Picked up the $200 profit maker today. ;Sweet Here's a pic of the ZF laying in the back.....Time to start looking for the stuff that's missing like a shifter and flywheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
umm, 138K miles on my DMF, no probs yet.

I'm going with a new DMF when it's time. I've seen Valeo (oem) DMF's on Ebay for about the same price(or less) than LUK SMF's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...011QQitemZ320154902875QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

mine launched the springs at like 160,000 on my old 94 f350 idi ur not out of the woods yet
i went with a single mass luk the difference in take off didn't bother me the southbend in my 99 shatters more than the 94 ever did of course the clutch facing is completely different though much more agressive than the luk

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno, considering the kind of abuse the flywheels on these rigs take. Anything over 100K seems like a good lifespan?

I don't think I could handle the rattling marbles sound.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yeah, but anything mechanical is going to wear.
We don't complain if we get 140K miles out of our mechanical fuel systems?

Also, the DMF is designed to protect our $1500 trannies.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Funny we are having this discussion, I got a call today from a guy I know at the IH dealer about 1.5hrs from work....He was looking for a DM flywheel for a PSD...His buddy had a SM installed recently on the recommendation of the repair shop - shudders so bad it pretty near toss's you out of the seat when you try to back up with a load so he took it back to the trans shop and they installed another SM - same problem....They said the problem is in his truck - not the SMcookoo ....It's a dually that hauls a 5th wheel trailer and he's really PO'd now that they "threw" his old DM away....BS if you ask me - probably re-sold it.....The guy from IH was told you can get a rebuild kit for the DM, springs and bushings but when he called he was told they were discontinued???:dunno

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
mine shatters slightly i pull trailers regularly no problems with it the biggest thing with the clutch i have now was breaking it in b/c all it wanted to do was grab the old flywheel was a single i think the switched back when they went to the superduty

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just made a deal a few minutes ago for a complete 2wd ZF-5spd setup from an 88 F350 with a 7.3L.... SM flywheel, almost new clutch-pressure plate, ZF trans, clutch M/C, slave piston and etc for $400....I also have another 2wd diesel ZF for spares. The E4OD in my truck would bring a pretty penny locally I'm sure as it works great and I get calls all the time looking for good ones for IDI's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin