ZF5 fluid question + used oil into fuel question

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently done a transmission swap from the E40 doa to a ZF5.
When I was filling the ZF I used 30 wt motor oil instead of ATF because I was told it may help the solid flywheel racket. I have noticed that the oil
seems to cause the syncros to act funny if it is cold out. If I drive it for a while above 45 degrees it shifts great into and out of every gear but if it is colder then second gear especially seems to be a tough one to get into.
I am feeling like I may try the ATF to see if that helps the syncros act right before I grind the gears too much.
What do you think?

When I pull the oil out of the trans. could I put it into the fuel tank and burn it? My fuel tank holds 28 gallons so it will be getting thinned down quite a bit after it sloshes around a few days. ;Sweet
I dont think it will hurt anything but thought I better ask first.

Thanks, Eric

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well it might smoke a bit :D

As far as the ATF....ZF reccomends Merc V syntheticI use AMSOIL full synth MERC-V and have a solid flywheel and really don't notice the rollover that much.

Others have serious rollover noise....I have heard Mel's...er...Suzies ;Sweet and his is what I would call extreme.....he has since changed to straight 30 wt and seems happy tho.

In my '90 IDI with 300 k mi I also ran AMSOIL with the solid f/w with little niose.

Wonder if those with the "Lucky" mod notice a difference in sound?

Possibly a frequency difference with the "Lucky" mod :confused:

NOT bashing Jim's excellent alternative by any streach ;Sweet :hail ...just thinnin' :D

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 90wt in my ZF5 and on cold days it's hard to get into 3rd but the rest are fine. I made it accross country with it that way towing my wifes Yukon. It's probably been that way for years too. So the general concesus is to leave it alone.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
never serviced my ZF :confused: , so i can't help there, but i wouldn't think twicw about burning the old stuff.
what's the capacity, anyway? IIRC, a couple gallons? i'm dumping anywhere from 3 - 4 gallons of used motor oil in each tank these days ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin