ZF5 detent spring plug depth?

siegler

Reaction score
I just got to the part of ZF's instructions where the shift rail detent springs and plugs get installed. But the instrustions only states that measuring intalled depth is no longer required with the updated case using 14mm plugs, and gives no help for me using a non updated case with 10mm plugs.

Does anyone know the proper depth or can measure the depth of their own ZF5 with 10mm plugs for me?

( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ine1Nrm1y_NFRRb2w&sig2=qvwYG1pZ5siqcXaluSmEeg )
Page 57, assembly step 34 is where I'm at.....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got to the part of ZF's instructions where the shift rail detent springs and plugs get installed. But the instrustions only states that measuring intalled depth is no longer required with the updated case using 14mm plugs, and gives no help for me using a non updated case with 10mm plugs.

Does anyone know the proper depth or can measure the depth of their own ZF5 with 10mm plugs for me?

( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ine1Nrm1y_NFRRb2w&sig2=qvwYG1pZ5siqcXaluSmEeg )
Page 57, assembly step 34 is where I'm at.....
From the bottom of the plug's "cup", to the edge of the boss in the case its pressed into, ours measures 1/8". Basically it looks like they're driven in just a little past flush with the top surface.

Where did you get new plugs?

siegler

Reaction score
They came with the rebuild kit I got off eBay. Came with the 10mm and 14mm plugs.

Thanks for measuring that for me. All 3 are the same depth?

siegler

Reaction score
I hit the outer edge with a small drift to knock them sideways, then pulled them out with needle nose pliers. Instructions said to punch a hole in the middle, then use a puller, which would work with the 14mm plugs, but didn't do anything for the 10mm plugs except push them deeper into the case......

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright! I was planning on drilling a hole in the middle then running a screw in and slide-hammering them out that way. But your method seems less destructive so I'll give that a shot.