X-spring vs. leveling kit?

jvencius

Reaction score
Since the bumper I'm looking to put on the frontend of my 2002 F-350 PSD weighs a considerable amount (~250 lbs) more than the stock unit, I figure that installing either X-springs or a leveling kit would be a smart idea. I've never been completely happy with how soft the frontend seems to be sprung so maybe a firmer setup in the front would be a side benefit. So with that said, now I finally get to my questions:

1) If you had to pick between X-springs and an aftermarket frontend leveling kit, which would you choose? I don't want to lift my truck, just level it out so that when I add the weight of a frontend replacement the factory "rake" is preserved.

2) Is installing X-springs/a leveling kit a do-it-yourself job or should I just pay to have it done? I've got access to a rather well-stocked automotive hobby shop on base so tools/time wouldn't be a problem but my limited skill could be trouble.

3) With the frontend leveled out (regardless of method) do I need to replace the shocks as well? I've got Rancho 9000's on all four corners but they've got ~50K on 'em and they're noticeably worn so if I needed to get new ones, now would be the time. Also, do I need to install lengthened brake lines with a leveled frontend?

4) Should I go with an aftermarket leveling kit, which brands should I look at? From the little I remember from TDS, Edge/Donahoe Racing stuff seems to be pretty well-made and Rancho/Fabtech are good stuff too.

Last edited:

jvencius

Reaction score
I just talked to the big offroad/performance shop in town and the owner is real big on BDS kits. He quoted me a price of $900 installed for the BDS leveling kit. That price included: shackles/hangers (I forget precisely what they're called), new pitman arm, new BDS shocks for all four corners, frontend alignment and 5 hrs labor for the install. Since they're pretty much the only game in town, is that a fair price or are they too spendy (like most stuff in this town is)?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell you what, I have both installed on mine.

First, I did the X springs. It lifted my truck about 1-1.5" and actually improved the ride and the way the truck steered & cornered.

Then I decided to go with bigger than stock tires, so I put a "Jack-It" 2" lift on the front & rear spring packs. The Jack-it kit was very reasonably priced and still looks great after 3 years on my truck. No sagging at all.

If you just want a mild leveling and some extra capacity, the X springs are cheap & easy and look very "stock" on your truck. You don't even need to replace your U bolts unless you're really ****.
If you want more of a front lift, the Jack-It works great. It will level the truck completely and is super affordable. You will have a slightly stiffer ride.

I don't think you need to worry about shocks with either. If you do both, like I did, you'd need to go to a shock with 3" lift.

You can see my lift in my pictures.

jvencius

Reaction score
Duke said:
Tell you what, I have both installed on mine.

First, I did the X springs. It lifted my truck about 1-1.5" and actually improved the ride and the way the truck steered & cornered.

Then I decided to go with bigger than stock tires, so I put a "Jack-It" 2" lift on the front & rear spring packs. The Jack-it kit was very reasonably priced and still looks great after 3 years on my truck. No sagging at all.

If you just want a mild leveling and some extra capacity, the X springs are cheap & easy and look very "stock" on your truck. You don't even need to replace your U bolts unless you're really ****.
If you want more of a front lift, the Jack-It works great. It will level the truck completely and is super affordable. You will have a slightly stiffer ride.

I don't think you need to worry about shocks with either. If you do both, like I did, you'd need to go to a shock with 3" lift.

You can see my lift in my pictures.

More and more, I'm leaning towards the X-springs. I actually like how the truck sits stock (nose down a little) and I figure that the X-springs will be a good balance for the weight of the bumper, plus they're a bit cheaper than a leveling kit and I could probably install them myself.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jvencius said:
More and more, I'm leaning towards the X-springs. I actually like how the truck sits stock (nose down a little) and I figure that the X-springs will be a good balance for the weight of the bumper, plus they're a bit cheaper than a leveling kit and I could probably install them myself.

You definately can. The X springs are cheap. Just go to Ford parts and get a pair of maximum capacity F-450/550 code "X" springs and you're on the way to a 1" + lift.

jvencius

Reaction score
Duke said:
You definately can. The X springs are cheap. Just go to Ford parts and get a pair of maximum capacity F-450/550 code "X" springs and you're on the way to a 1" + lift.

Forgive me as I blow Diet Pepsi out of my nose, but the parts counter at the Ford dealer in town here just quoted me a price of $183/each for X-springs and after hearing that I didn't even want to hear what they're charging for U-bolts and nuts. :eek: :eek: :eek: If I didn't know any different I might not think that's such a bad price, but when Dale Lakin has the same springs on his site for $122/each, there just isn't any way I'll be buying the springs from the local place. :thumbsup:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most definately get them as cheap as you can!!! They're the same spring wherever you go!!

People will tell you you need to replace the ubolts & nuts. Prolly the best way, but I never did.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bumper and winch combination that weighs around 500# It dropped the front 1 1/2". I installed the "X" springs and lifted the front 1/4" higher than stock. Keith

jvencius

Reaction score
ktpauley said:
I have a bumper and winch combination that weighs around 500# It dropped the front 1 1/2". I installed the "X" springs and lifted the front 1/4" higher than stock. Keith

Awesome--that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. ;Sweet

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys know I'm the "founding father" of the X-spring concept? LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. Sorry, I'm old and forgetfull LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads