WVO burners

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys filtering this stuff? What steps are you going? (100, 50, 25, 5)??? I got my hands on some and am going to try a few things to see what works best. Gonna try SVO and makeing some bio. Advice?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok, imagine if you will.....

1. heat the oil to 100-125degrees f
2. an old tshirt bunjee corded around a 5gallon bucket.
the bucket has a faucet in the bottom of it.
3. Faucet leaks into a 50micron bag filter that drips into a 55gal drum.
4. 55gal drum has a ballvalve on the bottom which I open to pour WVO into a 10micron bag filter, this leaks into another 5gal bucket.
5. when full, 5 gal bucket gets dumped into another 5gal bucket that once again is above a 55gal drum.... this one filters into a 1micron filter and fills the drum.

sounds like alot of work, but 200gallons has been filtered on a sunday....
it's a little slowish, but the benefits are:
No electricity or pumps needed (aside from the initial heating). Gravity does all the work.
Costs maybe $50 to build the whole deal.
Filter bags are cheap and washable, canister filters jam up in a matter of minutes. Mcmaster-Carr is the best source for cheap filterbags.

I use this same method to pre-filter for biodiesel making, tho I only do steps 1,2,3, and I filter to 1micron after the biodiesel is made.

Drew

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heating the oil up helps increase the flow of the oil as it is pretty thick at cooler temps. Plus heating it up over 120F will help evaporate any residual water left with the oil.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hang 2 blue jean legs into the bottom end of a 55 drum, with holes cut for them. Have a heater in the bottom of the 55 drum. Place the oil in the pants leg, let it filter... Keep heated for a day or so to drive out any water, and let any thing settle out. Then pump through a 10 micron golden rod filter and into the tank.
Has been working fine so far....

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Bring the cubie home let them settle for a month. Pump off of the top into a 15 gallon home made heating barrel, heat to 120F on and off at 4 hour intervals for a couple of days(drives off water and the cooling lets the animal fats sink to bottom of the drum. I draw off the oil at about 1/3 way up the drum with a valve welded into the side of the drum. Filter through a 5 micron sock filter into a clean cubie, let cool, then filter again through a 5 mic. filter cold for a final filter. Mix 50/50, dump in the truck.