would you buy this truck cheap?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I asked something like this before, thanks guys for your indulgence, looking around for a second IDI to mess around with, this one is going to be real cheap, 1986 F250, 6.9, 4x4, 4 speed, many new body parts, stacks, the GUY CLAIMS > 500,000 miles. i am not sure how he even knows this. Worth considering or not?
(My other candidate is a low-mileage one-owner 1993 2WD, no rust, mint interior, asking 4k, I am thinking maybe 3k.)

Attachments

• 1986 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel 001.JPG
    1986 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel 001.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 53

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably go with the 86, a lot easier to find parts in the junkyard, plus I like that body style.

Even if it has that many miles it still looks like a decent truck.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he is asking $2500 (he can ask anything he wants...:) ), I do not think he will get it... I will take a look soon.

So he describes the truck like a wreck on the phone, I am thinking forget about it and then 2 days later he sends me pictures and it looks pretty good, he may be BSing about the miles, 300k would not scare me 500k does.

I know a guy has got to be insane getting a 2WD when he could choose 4WD, especially when living in snow in the winter and sand in the summer (!)

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it looks clean and runs good mileage doesn't really matter. After all, its hard to verify low or high mileage anyway with a 5 digit odometer. The motor or trans or who knows what could have been gone through sometime in the past. A 4 spd manual and 4x4 make it a useful truck to me, and it even looks pretty decent.

sootman73

Reaction score
i would def go with the 86. (its worth a trip to go look and check it out yourself at least) but yea i would never buy a 2wd truck unless it was for parts. i drove one for two years in the snow...... forget that!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i would do the 86 f250 4x4 miles dont matter as long as it dont have much blow by. just take off the oil cap and c if it smokes while its running warmed up. if it smokes none or a little than its fine but if it puffs smoke i would leave it alone! good luck!

big rig

Reaction score
HEY GONECRAZYI !

Hey my friend, its me ERIC down here in Miami. I try to contact typ4 for the injectors, but I guess he is too busy, maybe you can get me his phone number and I can call him?
Thanks,
BIGRIG

big rig

Reaction score
HELLO TWeatherford

Hello my friend, I just bought a 92' f 350 cc 7.3 4x2 truck. I love my truck, but can you tell me if my truck can run only on vegetable oil too and if it can, can you tell what filters do I need to buy to do it? Diesel is getting expensive, at $ 3.19 per gallon, I am going to get a small 4 cylinder car but I don' t want to, 'cause I LOVE MY FORD!!!
Thanks,
BIGRIG

sootman73

Reaction score
big rig its against forum rules to "hijack" another members thread. whereas the rules are pretty lax around here we still respect another members space.

if you want to talk directly to another member you need to turn on the private messaging in the user control panel. then you can have personal email conversations.

if you have a question like your last post there you can do a search for the topic or start a new thread.

big rig

Reaction score
sorry, I am new at this site and I did not know how to reply to a specific person yet;however, I was NOT trying to HIJACK anybody's conversation. All I want is to get more information.
Thanks,
BIGRIG

sootman73

Reaction score
okay just trying to get ya helped out cuz i noticed you hadn't figured out the site yet. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Any chance you decided to look at the '86? I fit runs as well as it looks, seems like it hay have a home in your drive way. I'm guessing there is a little wiggle room in his price.;Sweet

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Goose, I have been busy with work but will look at the truck on Sat., and bring the checkbook along so if it drives straight will make an offer (!)