Worked The 7.3 A Little

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
If you got a free place to cut wood, its foolish not to heat your home with it. If you have to buy it, then the cost savings arent worth the amount of work and hassle and danger of burning it.

Not sure what a lumber permit costs around here or what it takes to get one, but we have a lot of "red air" days during winter in the valley and they don't like you heating with wood if you have natural gas (and almost everyone has NG). I really need to research it more because I have a perfectly good burner in my house.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually guys this is all for outside burning in the fire pit. Our heat runs off NG.

Id love to have a wood stove again. Cheap heat and I LOVE the smell of a fire.

But yeah, what Im doing beats the heck out of buying "kindle bags" at the store. 6-8$ for 5-6 pieces of starter.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You are a better man than I splitting by hand. I did 7 cord 3 years ago by hand. Then when out and bough a log splitter. Just got done yesterday splitting 10 cord. Took 2 days, 3 guys, 2 saws and tractor w forks
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
Actually Hanover. Im about 10min from the New Kent line.
no kiddin, we probably live pretty close then. i live off creigton.

i cut up lots and lots of trees in new kent a couple months ago ;Sweet first time i had really worked my truck and it did great.

giezy

Reaction score
If you got a free place to cut wood, its foolish not to heat your home with it. If you have to buy it, then the cost savings arent worth the amount of work and hassle and danger of burning it.

up here the insurance is insane even if you don t use the fire place!

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up here the insurance is insane even if you don t use the fire place!

Gotta shop around, same here with certain insurance companies, some wont even insure your house if there is a fireplace in it. After a little shopping we finally found one that only charged an additional 50$ premium per year for having a woodstove...

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You are a better man than I splitting by hand. I did 7 cord 3 years ago by hand. Then when out and bough a log splitter. Just got done yesterday splitting 10 cord. Took 2 days, 3 guys, 2 saws and tractor w forks
You must be registered for see images attach

looks like you have the same troy-built splitter I do. they are not real fast but mine has served me well over the past 5 years or so. something to be aware of is they can crack out where the pins are welded to the cylinder and cause an awful mess. I used to let my son run the lever while I handled the wood, I won’t anymore since he would be to near it if it ever blew.

I heat completely with wood, my oil tank is actually empty right now, so I really do heat completely with wood.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Gotta shop around, same here with certain insurance companies, some wont even insure your house if there is a fireplace in it. After a little shopping we finally found one that only charged a 50$ premium per year for having a woodstove...

That's the last thing I need... more insurance. Our rates near doubled this year due to a combination of the urban sprawl encroaching on us and crime going up and then a series of earthquakes and twisters in the immidiate area.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the last thing I need... more insurance. Our rates near doubled this year due to a combination of the urban sprawl encroaching on us and crime going up and then a series of earthquakes and twisters in the immidiate area.

I would gladly pay 50 bucks a year and save THOUSANDS over heating with petroleum:dunno

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firewood is hardly free...unless someone is dumping it off in your yard by the round for you....and I agree that splitting by hand can be quicker...until you run into wet knotty wood....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here on Monteagle mountain I burn about 3 cords a year. It is our primary heat. When I was doing physical labor everyday for work I used a wood splitter, but now that I have a desk job I split wood by hand instead of paying for a gym membership.
I generally can get a truckload cut and split between work and dark in the spring and fall. When the days get short I switch to a smaller truck to fill.
Can't see paying for something I can do for myself.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I didnt know how good I had it splitting fir up in Oregon. Moved down to Texas and all I split now is Oak, and Sweet Gum. Really miss splitting fir.......

Sweet gum is the worst. Its like it grows in spirals, you cant just split it in half, you have to take spiral chunks off the side.

Only down side to fir is you go through a lot of it. I usually did 5ish cords a year I would say. That was primary heat in my parents house. After I moved the installed one of those outside wood box's, so they hardly have to split wood. Just load the tractor up with some big ole pieces of fir and dump it in. It burns for days from what I hear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online