Woofing intake? Leaking injector?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hear a faint "woofing" or "whoosing" sound from my air intake hose on my 6.9. What does a leaking injector sound or feel like? My engine idles smooth, runs smooth, cranks smooth, but has that funny sound. Any ideas?

CDR?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today it went from woofing to flat out howling. I can hear a "tinging" from my exhaust as well. Engine shakes. Sounded like something let go in the upper end on the way home as I was letting off the throttle. Still starts. Going to go out and look at it some more now.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Well today it went from woofing to flat out howling. I can hear a "tinging" from my exhaust as well. Engine shakes. Sounded like something let go in the upper end on the way home as I was letting off the throttle. Still starts. Going to go out and look at it some more now.

Don't start it. Like Travis said, you've got a valve problem and if it just got that much worse...:eek: Hopefully it hasn't caused any damage. If you know what side the culprit is on, pull the valve cover to check the valves and go from there.

Tom

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Since it shows more signs of valve trouble as stated DON"T START IT... typically when these things drop a valve it's a 90% chance that a rod/piston combo will stick it's head out the side of the block to say hello... so yank the valve covers and have a look see first...

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen to the dont start. Ours sucked a valve but at least it didnt poke out its rods :D I am in the 10 % :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I finally have something to be happy about.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO......You're done, She's toast.....Sorry

Tom, Travis and BJ are right...Don't start it. It's time to take off the valve covers and take a peek but you might as well get prepared to pull the engine or spend alot of time bent over the fenders.

If it hasn't windowed the block you still have a rebuildable / repairable engine or at least a good core to turn in. If you break a rod and punch a hole at this point you will need another engine and be out the $600 - $1000 MINIMUM for the core charge because you don't have a good core to turn in.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, pulled the engine and tore the heads off this weekend. Found a very bad blown head gasket between cylinders. Everything else looked very good. Super clean inside. Cut the oil filter open and not a speck. Installed new gaskets and bolts. I am installing a first gen ATS turbo off of another rig.

The residue (lines,sealant) on the headgaskets removed was orange. Original factory?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
mine made the woofing but it was cause i did'nt have my rad cap tight? will there not be some kind of light woof in normal intake? and glad to here it is going well and with up-grades!!!!;Sweet

PS fill in you signature?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had that orange sealer on the gaskets as well...I wondered as well if that meant they were original. I do think some sucking woofing sound is normal, but its more of a loud bark or popping out the intake that we worry about I think. It is often a lifter problem with these diesels but you definitely want to at least pull the valve covers and have a look see. Glad you fixed it and got a turbo...sorry you had to fix it and sorry you had to experience ATS and their superb customer service.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's alive! Got her fired up and man does it sound good. 3 inch exhaust is on, turbo is on, pump turned up, timing set, and no leaks! Took it for a run, smooth and lots of power. Only have the EGT hooked up for now, boost guage and tach will be installed later. This is how Ford should have built these. I'm sure there are others out there that run better, but this gives me a solid platform to build off of. I have my Amsoil bypass filter adapter on the way, and a water seperator/filter ready to go on. Then maybe a DPS pump? we'll see.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really the EGT is probably all you have to worry about with that old style ATS until you really begin to work the truck, but there's no reason not to put a boost gauge in. They are cheap and easy to install.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The donor truck came with the Boost, pyro, and tach combo. I allready had a pyro in the rig so I used that one today. Ran a good long run pulling ATV's through the mountains, got great mileage. Don't know what it is exactly but only using 1/2 of the front tank is nice. It's nice waiting for the passing lanes to go around people instead of to let people by.

Whats a Moose pump? (Never mind, found it.) We shall see....

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Great to hear you got her back on the road and she's stuffing air instead of sucking air... Oh man I remember when I installed the turbo on our IDI man she just wasn't the same truck after that...

A Moose Pump is a injection pump that Mel Agne (moderator of this forum) had built by a shop local to him that is supposed to flow more fuel than a stock type pump even the stockers with the fuel screw maxed out. I would say that a moose pump is not for the faint of heart. I would love to get one if I still had an IDI out front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin