Won't Start, Been sitting a while

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I just got a '90 CC F-350, I swapped out the starter, cleaned the cables and put some hot batteries in. It seems to want to go but isn't. Any ideas?? It has been sitting for a couple years I think. Does the lifters leak down like gassers? I checked the schrader valve and fuel is steady and cracked the injector nuts to make sure it was getting to the injectors. It seemed to dribble out of most of them. What is the norm?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are all the wires hooked up on the top of the IP? There should be two connectors, one with one wire and one with two wires.

Turn the key on, and disconnect each one, and then touch each connector to the spades it came off of, listening for a distinctive 'click' from each one. If no click is heard, check for power at the wires. If power is good, you may have a bad FSS...

What do you mean, 'It seems to want to go'? Is it firing on a couple cylinders? Are you getting white smoke from the exhaust?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Am automotive test light is what most peeps use to check GP's. Clip the lead to + batt. Then touch GP terminal. If You get light, Gp is good. No light, GP is bad.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I am just about about the point of vanadlizing my own vehicle!! From what you guys say this thing should be chugging around the block right now but it's NOT!! I have checked wiring to the IP, both are hot. The front plug makes a much lowder click thant he rear one. But it does click. :frustrateI have bled out everything but my own wrist. I have changed the pos battery cables and cleaned the neg. Made sure the connection were clean. Is it possible for these motors to jump time? Any other ideas or suggestions are very much welcome

Would the return lines influence the starting?:dunno

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
how about glowplugs? we need a report on the plugs and what is coming out of the exhaust when cranking. when you turn the key is there a few clicks? there should be one when you turn it on and then one when the "wait to start" light turns off. is there?

and is it lighting off some or smoke coming out of the tailpipe? and what color if there is?

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I had put the GP controller on that came with the truck. It appeared to be new. I hooked it up but when I would turn the key the WTS light would come on....then go off and then the controller would start clicking. I thought that the GP's might be an issue so I disconnected the GP wire from the controller. Still made the clicking. So I wired the GP solinoid to a button. (That took care of the clicking) Even with bleeding the filter IP and injectors it still won't hit. If I had incorrectly wired the controller would that cause the IP/FSS to not work? Are they connected to each other?

No smoke/No nothing... Just aggravation!!

sootman73

Reaction score
well no smoke means no fuel. (and the clicking is normal for that controller)

and when you check for fuel you need to check while the engine is cranking over. just because there is fuel at the components doesn't mean that there is enough pressure to pop the injectors.

start from the lift pump and work towards the injection pump. pull a line and have someone crank over(into a bucket). reconnect that hose. then see if the fuel filter has fuel(get a new filter because it might be clogged). if it does then check the injection pump for fuel(you can remove the top cover and see if it is full). then crack the inj lines and crank. tighten them down one at a time(unless more squirt fuel out.)

if it doesn't start from there then you have more serious problems.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
[QUOTE check the injection pump for fuel(you can remove the top cover and see if it is full).[/QUOTE]

Lifted the lid and IP was full. I'm thinking I'm going to pull the IP off the spare motor that I know run well. perhaps the injectors too. Any specific procedure or secret handshake I should know about before I jump in to the job? Put the motor on #1 TDC and have at it. Iv'e done plenty of kubota turf equipment. Does the timing gear cover come off as an assembly as well or do you have to remove the gear from the IP? Is there a sticky on this subject?? Sorry bout having so many questions but this thing has to get going soon!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online