wmo in a m35a3

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a m35a3 military truck with a cattipiler engin. I mixed him up a batch ow w85 so about 6 gallons gas and 34 gallons drain oil sam mix I run in my idi. I have had great luck with this mix my truck will start hard when cold but after that runs great and gets better fuel mileage.

My buddy said the m35a3 starts hard when the engine is warm complete opposite of what mine is. What would couse that? He drove 20 miles to a store shut it off was inside for 25 min truck would not start. Let it sit for an hour fired right up.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like the same problem we have with the IDIs...
Are these engines mechanical/ non computer engine???
If they are could be problems with the injection pump????
Did the problem come up because your running wmo???

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Pretty sure the a3 cat engine is electronically controlled. I'd guess heui injectors since cat is the company that invented them.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His truck runs fine on diesel. Problem with warm starting is only on wmo.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His truck runs fine on diesel. Problem with warm starting is only on wmo.

This is just a guess kinda based on my experience with wmo. Maybe timing, because wmo burns "slower".
The engine probably set up ok for regular diesel but maybe the wmo makes that much difference.
Try a lower percentage of wmo see if it helps.
But again I would let someone else who knows more about these engines.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Being the same injection system, I would look into psd owners running WMO.
If that is the HEUI system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat pumps don't like anything but real pump diesel. He may get away with 20% wmo with pump diesel, but that's pushing it.

Armo

Reaction score
Cat pumps don't like anything but real pump diesel. He may get away with 20% wmo with pump diesel, but that's pushing it.

Id second this as a possible truth some of the newer pumps really are fussy. Running wmo through a bosch vp44 pump on a perkins diesel tells me that much.A guy at work was purging the fuel system of a newer cat the old fashioned way and it ruined the injection pump. Cat wouldn't warranty it cause of how he purged the injection pump. Guess cracking lines at the pump was a no no. This machine was also ran out of fuel that by itself can hurt an injection pump so im not sure how much was just avoiding a warranty claim or the facts.

If it was hard to start when fully warmed up id usually look at a plugged filter. Sitting would allow the pressure to equalize and sediment to drop back out then it would fire. Ive only had this once be the case with an implement and when I removed the fuel filter it made an audible suction sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online